PDA

View Full Version : Fold 77 preflop?

John J
10-11-2003, 05:09 PM
I'm in middle position five off the button, and am dealt 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. One person limps in front of me, I call, the player behind me raises and someone behind him reraises, making it 3 bets. The guy after him cold calls, bringing the pot up to $11.50. I figured that I was at least up against a higher pair and folded.

My thinking was it would have cost me $2 to call an almost $12 pot, giving me a little worse than 6:1 pot odds. I figured I would have to flop a set to win the hand, in which case I'm a 7.5:1 underdog. Even then I may get out drawn.

Was this the right move? Should I have figured "implied odds" into this equation?

BigEndian
10-11-2003, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't fold in that situation with those pot odds. Implied odds are the only reason you're calling. The immediate pot odds are worse than the odds to hit the set on the flop. But you figure to make up for that if you hit the hidden set since the odds are so close.

- Groove

Nottom
10-11-2003, 09:56 PM
I have to agree. Your implied odds are huge in this situation, if an overpair is out there.

Bob T.
10-12-2003, 01:36 AM
With this preflop action, if you flop a set and win, do you think you will be able to get another 6 big bets out of your opponents? I think so, and I think that you should call here.