PDA

View Full Version : PLO8, made emergency low

Paul2432
10-11-2003, 11:04 AM
This hand recently occurred on Party Poker in a 1/2 blind PLO8 game.

I am the BB and hold AsAd7c6d. The button limps and the small blind folds. The button has around 160 and I have him covered. I decide to check.

The flop comes AhKd2h. I bet the pot and the button calls.

The turn is the Qd. I bet the pot, button raises the pot, I call. I put him on JTxx. With top set and nut flush draw, I believe I have odds to call.

The river is an offsuit 4. I check and opponent bets his remaining 105. I think there is a fairly good chance my 76 is good for low, but I am risking 100 to win back only 60. I decide to fold. He shows and had JT93 so my low would have been good. Anyone make this call on the river? Other comments also appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

crockpot
10-11-2003, 11:50 AM
i was about to type that you should not have called on the turn if you didn't think there was a chance at winning low since your ten outs were not enough. then again, a guy who will limp with that trash preflop and then call a flop pot bet may be another story.

i probably call, violating my 'play for the whole pot' principle, because the odds that he has me beat both ways are just too low. remember, someone who is playing JT is likely to have cards close to it as kickers. in fact, even the horrible players in my game would show you at least QJTx here.

against some aggressive players it is even conceivable that your third nuts will hold up for high.

i wouldn't like calling here, but i think i would do it.

Paul2432
10-11-2003, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i was about to type that you should not have called on the turn if you didn't think there was a chance at winning low since your ten outs were not enough. then again, a guy who will limp with that trash preflop and then call a flop pot bet may be another story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually had 18 outs, with 13 outs to scoop even if he had a low draw. I probably would have folded like you suggest if all I had was the top set.

You make a good point about his side cards likely being coordinated with the JT.

Paul