PDA

View Full Version : How good is D. Brunson's Super System NL section

05-29-2002, 04:17 PM
I've purchased Doyle Brunson's Super System, but haven't gotten the time to go thru it entirely yet.

I've heard the limit section is now dated...due to changes in the game. But what does the No-limit section look like

Of course, this is strictly for tourney experience, but my NL game is rusty to say the least...anyone read Doyle and care to comment on the "Cadillac of Poker Games" section.

RB

05-29-2002, 05:32 PM
I've read that section once. The extent of my no-limit experience is one small home tournament, a couple of satellites, and one other tournament, so I'm not an expert. The material is pretty good, but man, does Doyle ramble. There is a lot of discussion on this board about how Mason and company should go out and find a good editor (really they should). Doyle needed one even worse. There isn't that much on no-limit out there, so you should certainly read it. If nothing else, a lot of you opponents will have read it, so it should give you some insight into how they're thinking.

The seven-card stud section is the one section that's still relevant to how the game is played today, as the structure of that game hasn't really changed. The structures of limit hold'em and high-low stud have changed. Draw and lowball hardly ever get spread anymore. No-limit is primarily played in tournaments, and tournaments aren't what Doyle is writing about. I think it's still worth reading, but then again, I like reading poker books. /images/smile.gif

05-29-2002, 08:37 PM
The no-limit section is pretty well written. My only concern is that the kind of play Doyle recommends is too tight, too passive, and too unimaginative. So go ahead and read Super/System but do make sure to play looser, more aggressive, and push the envelope a little more.

05-29-2002, 09:03 PM
It really doesn't translate to tournament play. For tourney play, get both the offerings from 2+2, Sklansky's being the better of the two, Suzuki's being more of a primer to get you in tourney mindset.

05-30-2002, 03:09 PM
yeah, i always thought doyle's "aim the chip hose at your opponents and open the hydrant" strategy was the height of weak-tightness. good to see that someone agrees.

05-31-2002, 10:28 AM
Apart from Ciaffone and Reubens book, it is the best resource out there for No Limit cash play. It translates well to tournaments if you make the adjustements reccomended by Brunson, but read TPFAP as well.

The biggest problem with Doyles book is that you have to be incredibly good at reading opponents and situations to play his way. If you aren't you will last about 4 minutes.

Bash, bash, bash does not get the money these days, particularly against bad players. Most opponents Doyle talks about here are capable of laying down a hand, and that noone will play back at you.

06-08-2002, 02:56 AM
It's not your or Sklansky's style of play (who give up some 25-50% of profit to play it more safe). Even Brunson himself doesn't play that aggressive.