PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get Mike Petriv´s holde´em book? *NM*

05-27-2002, 07:04 AM

05-27-2002, 01:53 PM

05-27-2002, 02:00 PM
your opinion of this book, I'm thinking about purchasing it when I finish reading WLLH

thanks

bill

05-27-2002, 02:58 PM
This is not a strategy book. This is a numbers book. It will show you situations and tell you how to figure odds and so on. That's about it.

The information is stuff you should know, but I have to say it's far from a riveting read.

Regards,

Troy

05-27-2002, 03:02 PM
Here's my review from from Gambling Theory and Other Topics.[i]

[i]Hold ’em’s Odds Book (8) by Mike Petriv. If your understanding of probability theory is poor and you are interested in the underlying mathematics of the game, then this text is pretty

good. For example, if you want to know the probability of backdooring a flush when you start with two suited cards and flop one of the appropriate suit, this book will show you how these computations are done. The reason I don’t rate it higher is that this material will not help you much in your play.

05-27-2002, 04:16 PM

05-27-2002, 07:33 PM

05-28-2002, 01:27 AM
Why won't learning odds and how to calculate them help with play? I'm new to poker, and it seems to me that it's a pretty important aspect of the game. Could someone please explain... please?

Patrick

05-28-2002, 03:26 AM
It helps in that you can more easily figure out if you're getting correct pot odds, but it does not give advice on the actual play of hands. It is important to know odds, but knowing those odds doesn't really help you be a better player. It takes knowing how to use the odds and knowing when the odds might not necessarily apply to be a strong player.

05-28-2002, 07:08 AM
Troy, when you say "should already know" What I know I learned from the following post:

http://www.posev.com/poker/holdem/strategy/outs-abdul.html

and a few brief descriptions in various books (hpfap, theory of p, inside the poker mind etc..)

But I am looking for an overall outline of pot and implied odds so I can determine proper plays in NL, PL Hold'em - Is there a better book for this that Petriv's in your opinion ?

thanks

bill