PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure if I played this great or terribly

Ulysses
10-10-2003, 09:05 PM
Party Poker 10/20 6-handed

I'm in BB w/ Jd9c

Three loose limpers. SB completes. I check.

Flop 4s 7c 8c

Checked to the button. He bets. SB folds. I call, thinking my overcards are probably good and of course a Ten would be great. The two other limpers call.

Turn (4s 7c 8c) Tc

I bet. Limper one calls. Next limper, who is way overaggressive and very loose, raises. He definitely doesn't need to have a flush here to raise. Button folds. I call. Limper calls.

River (4s 7c 8c Tc) As

I bet. Limper folds. Turn raiser raises again. I call.

What do you think? Great, terrible, or somewhere in the middle?

WyattErb
10-10-2003, 09:41 PM
I think calling the first bet after the flop was a bad play....there are too many cards beating you... the 10 is your only way out, the J may not be good, neither is the 9! and there is a possible flush draw and the straight could be out already...too small a chance to call the first bet...if you ask me!

cosmo kramer
10-11-2003, 02:32 AM
I don't like the call on the flop. First, the flush draw on board would taint two of your outs. Also, I wouldn't consider any of your 9's to be clean outs because of the connectedness of the board (Meaning 98 is a likely hand to be out, not to mention J-10). Additionally, it's tough to consider a non-club jack to be an out because you have a weak kicker. I'm not saying you need to be afraid of every possible hand that can beat you, but all these little things add up to cut down your outs. Finally, since it's a small pot, I would let it go to the flop bet.

Inthacup
10-11-2003, 03:28 AM
vs. the players you described I like the play on every street although I would consider betting out on the flop.

ajizzle
10-11-2003, 03:52 AM
Personally, I think your play is great. If MP is overaggresive to the point where he doesn't need a flush to raise the turn, then he probably would have bet the flop with a 4-flush.

Maybe you reraise on the the turn and see what he does. If he calls, you are probably ahead, and if he reraises, you fold. You are clearly not getting pot-odds to draw to a 2 outer.

samdash
10-11-2003, 06:17 AM
Why not 3 bet the turn to charge single clubs to draw? Would you have felt comfortable folding to a turn 4 bet?

andyfox
10-11-2003, 02:59 PM
Probably somewhere in the middle.

I know two overcards plus an inside straight draw is suppose to be pretty good, but there are two clubs, a possible straight already, a 9 or a J could give someone else a straight or a dominating pair to your pair, you've put no money (voluntarily) into the relatively small pot, you have three players behind you. . .

If I felt my hand was good enough to bet out on the river, I would have 3-bet the turn.

Hope he had the Ac-Th.

RollaJ
10-13-2003, 08:13 AM
I like the smooth call of the raise on the turn, as it trapped the limper for another bet, I think you played it well, especially considering the big implied odds offered at a party 6 player table

Ikke
10-13-2003, 10:53 AM
I made a huge huge difference that you held the 9c. If you hadnt held that club your play would have been terrible. But in this case you played it great.

Your flopcall is pretty automatic BTW. You shouldnt be afraid of people holding a flushdraw. None of the limpers (except button) bet the flop, which you would expect if someone had the flushdraw, since it wasnt raised preflop. Also, if aggro limper had the nutdraw he also missed an opportunity to check-raise the flop. So not likely at all. The most likely to hold the flushdraw was button, but he could have a vast range of other hands as well.

Check-raising the flop would have been a valid option in certain situations as well. But this would require more info about button and limpers.

Regards

lockitup
10-13-2003, 03:19 PM
On that flop, I don't know many players that wouldn't either: 1) bet their flush draw, or 2) fail to check raise their flush draw when they can trap everyone for two bets.

Therefore, I think you're ahead. I'd three-bet the river and expect to see something like AcTx, or maybe even Ac9x.

Clarkmeister
10-13-2003, 05:07 PM
3-bet the turn.

Ulysses
10-14-2003, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all the good replies. I'm still not completely sure about the best line to take here.

On the flop, maybe the button has a flush draw, but he could be betting anything here. As someone mentioned, I think a four-flush from someone else would be likely to bet here. Once there's no checkraise, I feel there's a pretty good chance nobody has a four-flush.

On the turn, I bet out thinking my hand is good. When the limper raises I reconsider and think that he might have a flush, perhaps a small one, but he probably has something like two pair. So I consider two options:

3-bet: Middle guy will likely fold unless he has Ac or Kc. If raiser has a flush he'll 4-bet, but I'm going to pay him off. Considering the high percentage of times I expect the middle guy to fold and the fact that sometimes I'll get 4-bet by the raiser, I wasn't sure 3-betting here was all that great.

Call: Middle guy will call w/ most hands, so I'll make one bet from him if I call, so many times it'll be the same as 3-betting w/out the risk of getting re-raised. I might also get another bet from him on the river if no club falls. So, I might actually end up making more the times I'm ahead by just calling. The only way this is terrible is if middle guy has something like Qc he was folding to a 3-bet and raiser has no club.

On the river, not much changed. I bet out hoping to get two calls. With no club, I thought the turn raiser might still pop it with something like two pair, though I wasn't confident enough to 3-bet.

Turns out he had 4d5d for the flopped straight.

As I said above, I'm still not sure how much I like my play in this hand.