PDA

View Full Version : Strange NL situation

Wad
10-10-2003, 01:58 PM
While cleaning up my computer desk I came across some old poker notes. Here's a NL hand I was involved in a few months ago that I found to be interesting.

Full 10 seat table is generally passive, lots of preflop calling, occasional small PF raises. Stacks are roughly equal, blinds are .50/1.00.

I am in the BB with 27o. UTG raises to $3 and EVERYBODY calls. So the question is.....with everyone in who would call this for $2 and why or why not?

Zag
10-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Call?!? Screw it -- I raise all in!

Seriously, you are looking at 14 to 1 pots odds, but only 30 or 40 to 1 implied odds, assuming you could get one or two people all in if you were ahead.

What sort of flops will make you happy to check-raise the flop? 227, 222, 777 are about it. 22x and 77x are destined to run into someone elses little pair (of x). I'm not even that happy with 772, but maybe I've been playing too much Omaha lately. I don't see these flops happening even 1 in 40. Fold.

Wad
10-10-2003, 02:14 PM
I screwed up the original post, it has now been edited and reads correctly. Sorry!

Zag
10-10-2003, 02:54 PM
I hadn't noticed before that it was screwed up, but your note did make me reread it and I realized that I had assumed you had about $30. (When I looked for the stack size, I probably saw the "27" and assumed it was a dollar amount.) You really need to include this info to have a meaningful discussion.

In the extreme case, if the stacks are all in the $2000+ range, than it is an easy call. The implied odds of 1000 to 1 justify any call that closes the betting, as long as you are sure you can outplay the field post-flop.

Realistically, I guess I should have assumed about $50 stacks, making your implied odds still only in the 40 to 1 range. Still not enough to call.