PDA

View Full Version : Slow playing top set

DCM
10-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Party 2-4 i am in the big blind with A /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. It gets folded to middle position who limps next 3 players limp button flops SB Completes I raise 1 limper folds, SB folds, 3 players see the flop. Flop is A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I check, and both my players check behind me. turn is T /images/graemlins/club.gif I check, first mp bets, second mp raises I 3 bet, first mp folds 2nd mp caps, I call. River is 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif I check mp bets i call.
I find my self slowplaying sets a lot recently is this sucide on party?

lil'
10-10-2003, 11:57 AM
I prefer a more ragged flop than this if I'm going to slowplay. There are flush and gutshot draws that may call you (or raise) if you bet. A weak ace or any king may also (incorrectly) call.

One of the conditions for a slowplay is that the free card has to be very unlikely to help someone make a better hand. In this spot, there are potentially many cards that could do that.

crockpot
10-10-2003, 12:14 PM
first of all, if there is anyone on party who thinks about what you have, it is very likely that they will immediately realize you have AA, KK or AK after you check the flop.

second, this is not the right flop to slowplay. a flush draw will call you anyway, but you should charge him for it. you really want to charge hands like QJ, QT and JT, which people love to play in these loose games. in a raised pot, often any pair will give you action. slowplaying is really not valuable in these types of games because you will get action anyway.

i would only check here if i thought i could get in a check raise to give a gutshot incorrect odds to call on the flop.

Allan
10-10-2003, 12:57 PM
You are slowplaying in the worng places if you are often making the play in spots like this one.

A correct slowplay should have these conditions:

A small pot
If you bet you think everyone will fold
The next card will give someone a second best hand but not somthing that has a chance to overtake yours.

In your case, you are gonna get action and if they have a draw and any sense they are gonna take that free card when you give it to them. Bet in these situations.

Allan