PDA

View Full Version : Was This Weak\Tight?

two_dogs
10-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Let me start with an intro.i've been playing hold'em since April(started out playing omaha/8 the devil's game)strictly online and have done pretty well.I've been reading this forum for over a month now and have many questions and would greatly appreciate comments and guidance on this hand.

Party $1/2
I'm in BB w 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG+1 LP limp, SB calls I Check
Flop come 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gifk /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I like it!
SB checks I bet all call.
turn 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks I bet UTG+1 folds LP & SB call
river 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
scary. figured they were hanging around for something any pair beats me so I check all else check.

Was the river play weak/tight?
thanks for your comments.

hockey1
10-10-2003, 08:51 AM
Even in low-limit on-line, I can't think of a worse hand than yours that would call a bet. The only hands out there that don't beat yours at this point are busted draws and really itty-bitty flushes. I think the river play was correct.

jujujaja34
10-10-2003, 08:56 AM
two_dogs,

In this situation it's not really a matter of being "weak/tight", but a question of what is the correct play.

You HAVE to bet the river for a couple reasons:

1) You very well might have the best hand
2) You can fold to a raise
3) You really don't want to check/call with trips on the board

Betting the river is simply the better play and I don't think it's close.

jujujaja34

hockey1
10-10-2003, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You HAVE to bet the river for a couple reasons:

1) You very well might have the best hand
2) You can fold to a raise
3) You really don't want to check/call with trips on the board

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think any of these reasons makes any sense.

1. Having the best hand only matters if you're going to be called by weaker hands -- which as I explained in my earlier e-mail aint gonna happen here.
2 & 3. Huh?

chesspain
10-10-2003, 09:25 AM
I think you need to bet this. You came out betting on the flop and the turn, which looks to the others like you might have the king. No one has shown any strength, and this river is going to be scary to anyone else but a K (since one assumes a 7 would have bet the turn to protect the trips with the flush draw on the board). Your bet, with two players in, might force out a five or a low-to-middle pocket pair that either could be holding.

If you were planning to check-call this anyway, you might as well bet and plan to fold to a raise. Remember, you're not betting to gain extra bets, but to get a better hand to possibly fold.

Max Weinberg
10-10-2003, 09:31 AM
I think I close my eyes and make a crying bet. When I open them I'm hoping that I haven't been called in any place.

brian0729
10-10-2003, 09:40 AM
A complete bluff seems to be your only chance of winning right away, because it looks like nobody has a 7 or K. But I dont like bluffing into more than one person and any hand that calls you is going to beat you. Check.

Sorry. Thought the one diamond was a heart. I agree with Max.

two_dogs
10-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the comments.Chesspain I take yours to heart but I also must say w 19.5 small bets I would really hate to lay this down to a raise and probably wouldn't(I know it is a weakness) so my thinking was I would give up the extra two bets if I was best and just lose one more if not.

anyway my flush was good. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

chesspain
10-10-2003, 09:52 AM
You might have answered the question to your original post with the last line of your reply to me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Look at it another way--with almost 10BB in the pot at the river, you would only have to get a better hand to fold 10% of the time for this play to be correct. Think about it--can you say that if you had stuck around with A5s or a pocket pair that you would call a river bet more than 90% of the time against someone showing strength with this scary board?. And in this case, with the strength you have already shown, I think that betting out as a bluff works better against more than one player. Although a raise against you is possible, it would seem unlikely given the lack of action on the turn.

hockey1
10-10-2003, 10:12 AM
There isn't a chance that someone with a boat is going to fold to a single bet -- especially at this limit Party. No way, no how, never, never, never.

Ulysses
10-10-2003, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Betting the river is simply the better play and I don't think it's close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck. What worse hand is going to call him? What better hand is going to fold?

Ulysses
10-10-2003, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your bet, with two players in, might force out a five or a low-to-middle pocket pair that either could be holding.

[/ QUOTE ]
The chances of a full house mucking are very, very, very slim.

[ QUOTE ]
If you were planning to check-call this anyway, you might as well bet and plan to fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think check-calling is better than betting because the chances of someone bluffing here are better than the chances of either a worse hand calling or better hand folding.

Ulysses
10-10-2003, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Think about it--can you say that if you had stuck around with A5s or a pocket pair that you would call a river bet more than 90% of the time against someone showing strength with this scary board?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the player who calls the turn w/ a 5 will call the river more than 90% of the time.