PDA

View Full Version : Good magazine columns / writers

05-15-2002, 12:26 AM
What columns / writers in Card Player and Poker Digest is generally worth reading? I'm thinking trustworthy, reliable information, and generally knowledgeable writers. One reason I'm asking this is Mason's statement in a recent post on News, Views & Gossip that "One of the problems that we at Two Plus Two have in this world of poker is that many of the people involved with these magazines and writing the articles are in my opinion extremely unknowledgeable." So Mason's own opinion would be very interesting.

Now my own take is that Roy Cooke, Bob Ciaffone, and of course David Sklansky when he appears, are the top Card Player columnists, followed by Jim Brier, Daniel Negreanu, and probably Roy West and Michael Cappelletti. I get less and less sure going down the list. Steve Badgers columns I almost always find boring and/or uninteresting, so I seldom read them any more. Most of the others I only read if the title catches my interest, or if I have time to kill and nothing better to do. I have read a few of Dan Kimberg's recent essays, and they have been a bit interesting, but I don't really think he is very knowledgeable. I do not think he even claims to be.

Is there anyone I am missing? Who else should I read regularly? Have I valued someone too high or too low?

I do not have Poker Digest right now and haven't had it in a while. Comments on the writers there would be appreciated too.

And are there any other publications worth reading? Poker €uropa? Other magazines that I probably do not know about?

Thanks for any comments.

05-15-2002, 10:41 AM
Poker Europa is good at what it does but contains very few column-type features which would be of interest outside Europe, with the possible exception of Dave Colclough, but his brand of humour is hard enough for us to decipher never mind for Americans ...

Andy.

05-15-2002, 06:17 PM
Poker Europa is very good for tournament informations (european tourneys, of course) but has a great lack in the strategy section.

The best article I ever read in it was by Phil Hellmuth jr about stud poker'em tournament in Baden (the greatest stud tourney in the world)

Nic Szemereta, the owner of the magazine, is working hard to improve it with the help of some of the best european poker players.

Marco

05-19-2002, 08:44 PM
Poker Digest for Mike Caro.

05-20-2002, 02:42 AM
Yes, he moved after I stopped reading Poker Digest. Maybe I should start reading it again. I know that not all his stuff is supposed to be top notch, but I do believe he's worth reading.

05-20-2002, 10:20 AM
pokerpages.com and pokermag.com have articles