PDA

View Full Version : Monte Carlo Hand

Howard Burroughs
10-10-2003, 07:57 AM
The Monte Carlo in Las Vegas. This was a hand I played a couple of months ago. I think I made a lot of mistakes in the hand.

btw, Though I love the game of stud, I play mostly hold'em.

While waiting for a hold'em seat, I decide to play some shorthanded $1-5 seven card stud.

I enter the game with two racks ($200). The gentleman on my right in the 2 seat has substantially more (chips) in front of him. Everyone else has a rack or less.

The 2 seat suffers back to back brutal beats and appears to be steaming (he still has several hundred dollars in chips in front of him though).

I'm settled into my seat. I've tossed the first few hands dealt to me away on third street and now the following happens........

Black deuce brings it in for $1, Ten of hearts folds. Black nine folds, seat two (with the 5 of hearts showing) makes it $6. I'm next & have (AdQd) Kd. I make it $11, we lose the deuce and Seat Two makes it $16. I call.

Seat Two (xx)5h6h

Wannabe stud player (Me) (AdQd)KdJd

I bet ($5), R, RR, 4-bet, 5-bet, "Seat Two" 6-bets and I come to my senses (a little late) and call.

Seat Two (xx)5h6hTd

Me (AdQd)KdJd8d

Okay, I got lucky.

Although I originally had put him on a third street steam raise with any three cards, due to his relentless pressure I now think he is either on.....

a) An ace high flush draw.

b) A big pair in the hole & gonna ride it to the max (ala steaming).

c) Can't 100% rule out him being rolled up.

BUT, my gut tells me he is on an open ended straight flush draw.

I bet ($5), he raises.

I did not expect that!

Obviously I have the goods here on 5th. I'll raise til the cows come home if he wants to, but WTF is he drawing to?

We can now rule out the buried big pocket pair possibility (I know, like duh!).

More like.....

a) Straight flush draw

b) rolled up (or (66)-(TT)

c) or maybe he started weak (like I originally suspected) and has since made two pair (and is feeling that river magic coming his way).

I 3-bet, he calls.

Seat Two (xx)5h6hTdAc

Me (AdQd)KdJd8dQc

He bets, I raise, he calls.

He checks the river in the dark. I check in the dark behind him (Boo!, hiss).

I table my ace high flush. He stares at his down cards for a long time trying to somehow make a flush-buster out of them. Then shakes his head in disgust and tosses his cards into the muck.

I'm soon called to my hold'em table and I hear the song of "them damn hold'em players" being sung (actually mumbled) from a chorus of stud players.

I love the game of stud but I know my game needs a lot of work!

I think I way overplayed the (stud) hand and just got lucky in a big pot.

What do you think? Did I butcher every street?

Ed Miller
10-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Your main mistake was failing to bitch and whine about your opponent catching your royal card on fifth street. Bonus points would have been awarded had you perpetrated said bitching while stacking your enormous pot. Even more bonus points would have been awarded had you also quoted to him the value of the jackpot you would have hit had you caught the card and not he.

patrick dicaprio
10-10-2003, 10:35 AM
this must have been the richest 1-5 game. i have never seen a 1-5 game with multiple players having multiple hundreds in chips.

as far as the play is concerned, you dont say if the game has an ante, but my recollection is that it does not. if not i think you should have just called on third street. you do not want to lose players at this level with this hand. at higher limits you mightplay differently but at 1-5 i would just call. this is anexample in my mind of where the 7CSFAP advice does not apply to low limits. now if you were sure that the players would call and that you would not have a heads up potthen you should raise.

the problem is that your opponents most likely hand is a large pair so you are a dog and he has two cards that could pair one of yours.

the fourth street play is wrong but you dont need me to tell you that. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

pat

pianist
10-10-2003, 12:32 PM
You should check-call on fourth street. You're a dog to most hands he could have, so you're losing money with every bet you put in the pot.

Also, it's so routine for people to bet on fourth with a four-flush, if you don't bet but then make the flush, you're more likely to get his money on the big-bet streets because he's less likely to put you on the flush.

Except for this lapse, you played the hand well. Good read.

Dynasty
10-11-2003, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should check-call on fourth street. You're a dog to most hands he could have, so you're losing money with every bet you put in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. If he has indeed got three-of-a-kind on fourth street, you are indeed a dog (58/42). But, you're just as big a favorite against two-pair and a monster favorite if he's got buried Aces. I think he'll have less than trips a large % of the time.

cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
AdKdQdJd 209660 41.93 290340 58.07 0 0.00 0.419
6s6c6h5h 290340 58.07 209660 41.93 0 0.00 0.581

AdKdQdJd 288764 57.75 211236 42.25 0 0.00 0.578
5s6c6h5h 211236 42.25 288764 57.75 0 0.00 0.422

AdKdQdJd 323582 64.72 176398 35.28 20 0.00 0.647
AsAh6h5h 176398 35.28 323582 64.72 20 0.00 0.353