PDA

View Full Version : Folding top pair, Ace kicker on flop; a mistake?

s_teiger
10-10-2003, 12:14 AM
I'd appreciate people's feedback on a hand I played today at Party 2/4. It was an average table, 3-5 to the flop on average for about on average 1.5 bets.

I limp w/ AJo in late position. There are 2 limpers ahead of me, one early, one mid, both blinds see the flop. There are five to the flop.

The flop is J37 rainbow. The small blind checks, the big blind bets, early position calls and middle position raises and I cold call, the small blind folds and the big blinds reraises. Early and mid call and I fold. I think this was my mistake. Even though my J's were probably beat, it was only one more bet and I should have folded the turn if it didn't help.

There were three to the turn which didn't help me if I had stayed in, and the river was an Ace. The big blind ended up showing J3 for two pair. I would have won, but I'm not mad about that. I just want to know if I made a mistake folding the flop. All opinions are appreciated.

ThingDo
10-10-2003, 12:19 AM
Well, I think raising makes your decision much easier, and... you might be able to knock out those pesky blinds. Because the flop is rainbow and it being so uncoordinated I don't see any draws there... so you have to put one of them on at least a J at best.. I think I'd probably call one more bet and check fold the turn to a bet ( unimproved of course ).

JohnShaft
10-10-2003, 12:25 AM
Off the top of my head you should be:
- Raising two limpers Preflop in LP with AJ
- 3-Betting the Flop (I hate calling this Flop)
- NOT folding for one more small bet on the Flop (closing the action) after you've called two cold

Ed Miller
10-10-2003, 09:47 AM
Your approach to this hand was terrible.

You should probably raise preflop. You should definitely 3-bet the flop. This is exactly the flop you are looking for with AJ. Folding for one more bet on the flop is simply horrible poker. This hand was played weak-tight to the extreme.

If you typically play this way in Party 2-4 games, you will lose all your money. The maniacs will rob you blind.

lil'
10-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Rasing makes this hand much easier to play. Because you played it so passively, you have no idea where you stand when the action gets to you.

You let this one get away...