PDA

View Full Version : Will power (from David Sklansky's poker, gaming, and life)

Warren Whitmore
10-09-2003, 05:40 PM
Holdem has gotten popular. So I look at the holdem games at foxwood though I am a stud player. They look easy. More insentive to get better at holdem. I play on line and do quite well. I remember the article "will power". I decide why not? I decide to play pavloves dog. I don't like hot peppers. I buy a big jar of them. Every time I make a play contrary to hold em for advanced players I eat one. My mistakes get fewer ant fewer. I start to like hot peppers. I research why. I find out hot peppers release natural drugs into your brain to make you feel pleasure.

Max Weinberg
10-09-2003, 05:47 PM
I think after a while of your brain going "Ouch! Pepper hot!" it starts getting a leg up on you and going "Ouch! Pepper hot! Mmm, endorphins..." I can't remember where I saw that, but I think there was a whole show dedicated to this pepper phenomenon.

To keep with the Pavlov's dog analogy, you should either spray yourself in the face with water and vinegar, or have an electric fence collar and jolt it when you make a mistake. My dog ran through that fence exactly one time before she realized what those little flags mean.

Redhotman
10-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Why was the pepper test in that book? That is really a great idea.

What is your opinon on that book as a whole? I have heard it is below-par.

pufferfish
10-09-2003, 10:07 PM
Better get off the peppers, you might start jogging while you play. I like the “electric fence collar” idea better. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TC,
pf

Mike
10-10-2003, 02:39 AM
The peppers going in are only half the problem.

Warren Whitmore
10-10-2003, 06:11 AM
the pepper test was not in the book just the concept. Davids example was forcing yourself to eat only carrots for super. As for how I liked the book? I thought it was informational and fun to read a great mix of poker concepts and phylosophy.

PlanoPoker
10-10-2003, 02:45 PM
The other night in my pot limit game I asked a nearby player if I could check out his card marker. It was a miniature slot machine. I pulled the level and it shocked me HARD. Not quite as bad as sticking your finger in a wall socket, but similar. You should get one of these and make yourself take a pull every time you decide its ok to defend your blinds with Q7o. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mangatang
10-10-2003, 03:44 PM
That's funny, I was thinking about rigging an electric shock alarm clock. I have a hard time getting up in the morning, and I think a good ZAP would really start my day off nice.

As for the peppers, since you're beginning to like them, try doing this instead. Set aside a shot of tequila, a lime, and some salt. When you make a poor play, snort the salt (through your nose), swallow the tequila, and squeeze the lime in your eye.

This is also good for impressing women. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warren Whitmore
10-10-2003, 04:40 PM
you must be a genius

sucka
10-10-2003, 04:59 PM
Poker, Gaming and Life is one of those lessor known books, but it's one of my favorites. I especially like the chapter called "A simpler method" or something to that effect where Sklansky starts off by saying he is about to give you an easy way to quickly figure out odds with 2 cards left to come and proceeds to spend the next 3 or 4 pages having you divide various numbers by 1280, etc... to figure out what your odds are. It's not rocket science but certainly not a method any mere mortal can use on the fly at the table.

Eat more peppers!

Anadrol 50
10-10-2003, 05:17 PM
I used to 'freeze' myself by driving home in the winter with no heat and the windows completely down after a night of poor plays.

I did this when it was 20 degrees Farenheight out.........

dogsballs
10-11-2003, 12:04 AM
snort the salt (through your nose), swallow the tequila, and squeeze the lime in your eye.

It's called a Suicide Shot.