PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of this term? Priall?

RockLobster
10-09-2003, 07:01 AM
I received this e-mail, I thought I'd pass it along in case anyone here has any input...

We have a friendly poker game here (Salmon Arm, BC, Canada) every week. One of our new players is a Brit with a strong accent.

He used the term "priall" which is the best phonetic spelling I can give the word. It means three of a kind. We said that you couldn't use the term unless you could spell it. Naturally, there are a couple of beer on the exact spelling of the word.

Have you ever heard of the word? How is it spelled.

Thanks--

Easy E
10-09-2003, 08:50 AM
http://tinyurl.com/qb14

I think you'll still be fighting, but it primarily seems to mean a pair of items. However, they do refer to a set, especially when then talk about cards (see "pair royal" at the bottom)

ramjam
10-09-2003, 09:14 AM
"Prial" is a term from three-card brag, an English game similar to but older than poker. The simplest way to describe it is three-card poker with a raise-or-fold betting structure. A prial is indeed the top-ranked hand of three of a kind.

PS: For some reason, although hands and cards generally rank as in poker from A high to 2 low, the absolute nuts is a prial of 3's (followed by a prial of aces).
PPS: Three of a kind beats a straight flush beats a straight (normally called a run) beats a flush beats a pair.

Aces McGee
10-09-2003, 09:52 AM
I was curious about brag a few days ago and looked it up on the Internet. It's interesting how, with only three cards, a straight becomes rarer than a flush.

Aces McGee

RockLobster
10-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll pass this along (and add it to my "terms" section)... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TylerD
10-09-2003, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Prial" is a term from three-card brag, an English game similar to but older than poker. The simplest way to describe it is three-card poker with a raise-or-fold betting structure. A prial is indeed the top-ranked hand of three of a kind.

PS: For some reason, although hands and cards generally rank as in poker from A high to 2 low, the absolute nuts is a prial of 3's (followed by a prial of aces).
PPS: Three of a kind beats a straight flush beats a straight (normally called a run) beats a flush beats a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Three 3's are highest as it is called '3' card brag

Tyler

Andy B
10-09-2003, 01:54 PM
It is indeed harder to make a three-card straight than a three-card flush. It's also slightly harder to make a three-card straight flush than a set. If Aces count low, there are 48 straight flushes and 52 prials.

Ray Zee
10-09-2003, 03:50 PM
he obviously has a hearing problem. the brit was simply talking about apparel. in england they have to dress up to play poker and in canada they dont. he may have been offended. i suggest you have the player get one of those miracle ear things so he can then understand your guest from england.

RockLobster
10-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Oh my, aren't we a bit feisty today? /images/graemlins/smile.gif