PDA

View Full Version : Party hand I think I botched the river on

slavic
10-09-2003, 03:32 AM
Party 2/4 Weak table, that floats between aggressive and passive. It was a strange texture. This is the last hand of the session and I'm UTG. I have a small win comming to me after 120 hands or so while running a little card dead, and having a set run into a flopped straight. I've been playing my autopilot game so I'm not that disapointed with my 3 BB's.

(no way I muck this as my last hand)

Hero has As, Ks and is UTG

Hero raises, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls, BB calls

Flop(10.5SB): A /images/graemlins/club.gif, K /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, Hero checks, EP2 checks, MP1 checks, CO bets, BB folds, Hero raises, EP2 folds, MP1 calls, CO calls

Turn(8.25BB): 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero bets, MP1 calls, CO folds

River(10.25BB): 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero bets, MP1 folds

Festus22
10-09-2003, 08:46 AM
If you bet, a weak ace is probably calling down here given the turn call, maybe even a strong king is calling. A busted broadway or flush draw is folding.

I just don't see anyone playing back at you with that board after you showed aggression on all previous streets. I'd give the inducing a bluff play a very low chance of success here. Certainly less than the likelihood of a call from an A or K.

gonores
10-09-2003, 09:19 AM
If you bet out on the flop, a river check would appear more legitimate. Most Party players curl up into a ball after they get check-raised by a pre-flop raiser, sepecially with those big cards on board. Unless you have your opponent classified as pretty aggressive, you should bet this river.

Doug

Barry
10-09-2003, 09:57 AM
With you checkraising the flop and betting the turn, a check on the river isn't going to induce a bluff by MP very often, but you'll get calls from all sorts of hands that he might have. I think you have to bet the river here.

Louie Landale
10-09-2003, 01:21 PM
I don't like the flop check-raise since it ANNOUNCES very strong hand. As such, [] don't expect a weak pair to call the river, and [] don't expect a missed draw to bluff the river.

Doesn't look like you can make any money with this one.

Notice that you would have won a bigger pot had you bet out, as CO would likely pay you off with his stiff A.

- Louie

Bob T.
10-09-2003, 01:46 PM
I think that you botched the flop.

You have a great flop here, and you probably want the players behind you to contribute more money, why don't you bet out, so they only have to call one bet on the flop, and if you get raised, you can decide between three betting, checkraising the turn, or playing stopngo, and trying to get them for multiple bets on the turn also.

Raise preflop, then checkraise the flop, usually is a huge hand, and that is where you killed your action.

(no way I muck this as my last hand)

I usually think that once I have decided to stop the session, my brain isn't quite functioning up to full poker power, and I only play if I the hand is such that I can play it on autopilot. AK, would certainly qualify as one of those hands.

slavic
10-09-2003, 01:54 PM
Notice that you would have won a bigger pot had you bet out, as CO would likely pay you off with his stiff A.

I agree and I likely would have played it that way. I brought up the notion of this being the last hand of the night because I did play it different. When I hit the flop I decided to clear out the players, take the pot and head for the hills. With top two I don't mind as much people calling all the way thought the 2 flush does worry me.

Homer
10-09-2003, 02:00 PM
What's wrong with betting the river? Why do you put MP1 on a draw? Unless you know him to be a solid player (in other words, all these coldcalls are abnormal for him), you should bet and watch as he pays you off with Ax or worse.

Also, bet out on the flop and hope to be raised so you can three-bet. With all these coldcallers someone else is likely to have an Ace.

-- Homer

slavic
10-09-2003, 02:01 PM
I think that you botched the flop.

I agree, betting out is better. I'm a little less likely to check - smooth call, for the Check raise on 4th with 2 pair but that would force the flush draw to call 2 big + 1 small instead of 2 small and 1 big.

With this being late in the session my thoughts were to take the hand now, kill the action and get out of here.

Bob T.
10-09-2003, 02:04 PM
With this being late in the session my thoughts were to take the hand now, kill the action and get out of here.

You played the hand that way, and that is what happened. Your plan worked. You shouldn't be dissappointed. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

slavic
10-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Ahh but my greed does not always match my planning.