PDA

View Full Version : I get yelled at for raising the turn

jerrybai125
10-09-2003, 01:58 AM
I go to bicycle for the first time (only 19), becuase i heard they dont card there. After going all in for 200 at the 100 buy in no limit with AA and getting called by 2 people with KK and 99 and losing that hand when a 9 came on the flop, I sit down at 3/6. This table has very loose players chasing inside straight draws, any pair, one overcard, and i limp in with Kc7c with 7 other players.

Flop comes Qc6c5d

it gets checked around

turn 4h

i check in sb and the bb bets, 3 poeple call behind him and comes back to me and i raise. All call

river: 8c

i bet out and 2 call, i flip over my flush and win the pot.

I get critized by the 4 players who were in it, one said "how can you raise with K high?!" and another even said "wow what a bad beat!" I dont understand how not even 1 person at the table agreed with my play.

Max Weinberg
10-09-2003, 02:13 AM
I love it.

I'm not sure if I love the flop or pre-flop play, but that's only because I'm sure of the action. You say you limped with K7s and then on the flop you jump into the SB.

By all government estimates, you have about nine-hundred outs on the turn. If your king is clean you have twelve-thousand outs. Hell, I think you've got odds alone to check-raise your flush draw.

jerrybai125
10-09-2003, 02:28 AM
yea i meant i limped in on the small blind, would some players bet the flop here?

Oblivious
10-09-2003, 02:31 AM
Outside straight and prolly the best flush draw against 4 players... i think this qualifies as raising for value. Good move.

JTG51
10-09-2003, 02:33 AM
I'd bet the flop most of the time and I'd bet the turn every single time.

Max Weinberg
10-09-2003, 02:39 AM
Depends on what I think of the table, I guess. Most of the time I'll bet it, but if I think a bet is likely to come from fairly close to my left I'll check-raise it with enough people along for the ride.

I'm a bit partial to the check-raise because it allows the elusive trifecta of check-raises.

slavic
10-09-2003, 03:20 AM
I bet the flop here almost every time. The raise on the turn is perfect. Congrats.

Nice finish to the hand.

As for the players. Do you really want them to respect your play here? You just pulled of a brilliant play on the turn and they think your an idiot. You have the best of both worlds my friend. Just act dumb an continue on.

Dynasty
10-09-2003, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I get critized by the 4 players who were in it, one said "how can you raise with K high?!" and another even said "wow what a bad beat!" I dont understand how not even 1 person at the table agreed with my play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you care what they think? Why are their opinions important to you?

Joe Tall
10-09-2003, 10:19 AM
If you completed in the SB with Kxs, nice job.

Bet the flop, however.

[ QUOTE ]
I get critized by the 4 players who were in it, one said "how can you raise with K high?!" and another even said "wow what a bad beat!"

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a great table full of bad players, you should be thrilled when people say things like this at the table.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

JTrout
10-09-2003, 10:30 AM
I usually throw in something like, " Oh shxt, I thought I already had the flush!" just for fun! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

CrazyEyez
10-09-2003, 11:22 AM
I would have bet the flop too, but now I'm thinking - if you do, can you still go for the check-raise on the turn, or do you have to bet out there too? In other words, if he bet's out flop and turn, he might get calls of 4 sm. bets and 4 big bets, whereas the way he played it he got 8 big bets.

pudley4
10-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Betting the flop and going for the check-raise on the turn is an excellent way of playing this hand (and many others).

Bob T.
10-09-2003, 01:54 PM
I dont understand how not even 1 person at the table agreed with my play.

If I counted correctly, you got 18 potential outs in a five way pot. You certainly have a value bet here. I think that you missed one on the flop.

The reason that noone agreed with your play, is that you were playing 3-6 in california. Noone at the table probably can count your outs. Heck, they just elected Arnold as governor, and maybe took my state (Minnesota) off the hot seat as the home of the goofiest politics.

Homer
10-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Why are you listening to people who don't know anything about poker?

-- Homer

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Heck, they just elected Arnold as governor, and maybe took my state (Minnesota) off the hot seat as the home of the goofiest politics.

As if there's any such thing as a politician who isn't an idiot. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

squiffy
10-09-2003, 02:31 PM
You are a greedy, angle shooting, bad-beating, low-down dirty, scum bucket. Mal-adjusted, Anti-Social, and JUST DARN MEAN!!!!!!!!!

tiltboy
10-09-2003, 02:41 PM
They are, of course, idiots. You are lucky they are at your table and should immediately agree what you did was stupid and you promise never, ever to do it again under any circumstances. Perhaps you could claim you though you already had the straight on the turn? Whatever it takes to keep them in the game, I would do it.

CrazyEyez
10-09-2003, 03:02 PM
I was born in CA and live in MN. Which state do I laugh at?

GuyOnTilt
10-09-2003, 03:23 PM
You should be betting the flop on this hand, especially since you described the table as one where most players would call a flop bet with nothing. You'd definitely be getting value on your bet here.

Your turn check-raise was good. Do it there everytime. Those guys don't know what they're talking about. You're getting 4:1 on your 2:1 draw. You're getting GREAT value on your raise! Good for you.

chesspain
10-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Next time, just say "I'm sorry; it must be all of that cold syrup I drank earlier."

Bob T.
10-09-2003, 04:51 PM
Both.

John Deere
10-09-2003, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

West Virginia.

Dynasty
10-09-2003, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The other 48.

tiltboy
10-10-2003, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"I'm sorry; it must be all of that cold syrup I drank earlier."

[/ QUOTE ]

Love it! I'm going to try that next chance I get. It will then be known as the Nyquil Checkraise.