PDA

View Full Version : Hand and Play evaluation..

tokn
10-09-2003, 01:48 AM
Hello folks, long time lurker first post.
First off, I want to say thanks to all that have made this site soo wonderful and there are vast amounts of knowledge to be gained here. k now a$$ kissing aside.

Party/Empire .5/$1

I am LP and was dealt T /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif
UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls to me I raise, button calls, SB and BB completes.

Six sees the flop:

T /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB and BB both checks, UTG+1 bets, UTG+2 calls, I call, button folds, SB and BB both calls.

Turn comes 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif[T /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif]

Both blinds check UTG+1 bets, UTG+2 calls, I raise, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls,

4 to see the river.

[T /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif]4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

now I'm crapping my pants.

SB checks, UTG+1 bets, UTG+2 folds, I call, BB folds.

Now my question is would you have raised the flop? as well as bet/raise the turn? was I too weak on the river? How was my Post flop play?

Thanks all.

Results below.

I take it down 18BB with my set, UTG+1 had A /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for a middle pair.

Max Weinberg
10-09-2003, 01:57 AM
I raise the flop here, if for no other reason than to charge random crap that's hanging around. The flush draw is obvious, so raise. It turns out that in this case there wasn't a flush draw out there, but most of the time there will be. Charge it a lot. Don't stop betting and raising until someone beats you over the head and tells you to stop.

As for the way you played it, I can see the value in the raise on the turn because of that card. Now you can trap all spades and hearts for two bets on the turn, assuming they're out there. You play with fire when you smooth-call the flop with a flush draw out there, but I think you got more money in the pot by raising the turn instead.

Good call on the river. By then the pot is a good size, and people are willing to pull stupid moves like the guy with A8s. You'll make up enough on the times that he's just putting a move on you to cover the losses you'll take when he actually does have the flush.

ajizzle
10-09-2003, 04:47 AM
The smooth call on the flop is a questionable play. With the blinds going along, and two EP limpers, it is possible that one of them has a 4-flush. Though you have the nuts, it is risky, and may lead to disaster. When the flush didn't come on the turn however, your worries should have been washed away, because now, you were able to C/R and make the opponents pay for seeing the next card. Though I don't particularly agree with the flop play, it is quite effective in low limit games with low quality players.

tokn
10-09-2003, 12:00 PM
Yeah realizing two clubs on board, I knew that its very possible that if a club hit, I would have been in trouble. But i wanted to extract as much as I could from the callers. I felt that rasing the flop would have cause some to drop off with the preflop raising, thus I waited for the turn to raise if it wasn't a club. luckily for me there were no flush draws.

Thanks for the responses.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Top set with draws all over the place. Raise the flop. Bet/raise the turn (more draws just showed up).

Sarge85
10-09-2003, 01:25 PM
I haven't looked at the bottom but this is how I'd play it out.

PF - Nice Raise after two limpers with TT

FLOP - I'd Raise the flop here. I think you need to fast play your sets, espcially with the draw out there. Make them pay to outdraw you.

TURN - Well Done

RIVER - *Sigh* I struggle here as you appear to be. Did he hit it our not.... Your certainly going to call the hand (at least I would) the question is - do you put a value bet on the river. I'd raise. Not knowing the player he or their tendicies he could have anything from an overpair to a raggedy two pair. He could be making a steal representing the flush, since you raised PF not necessairly representing any potential drawing hand. I've been missing so many bets on the end, that I'm trying to be more aggressive.

I guess I'll go back and see how you did now.

I'm curious what the other players will think of my play.

Sarge /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Bob T.
10-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the forum, and good luck,

With the bet coming from your right, smooth calling the flop is fine, when you are playing with the intention of charging the flush draws double on the turn. If the player on your right is aggressive, or you have made free card raises in this position, you might want to raise here, because if he three bets, and then leads on the turn, you could charge them more on the flop, and also more on the turn. You are playing 5./1.00, and the free card raise is more likely to work here, so I think calling and popping the turn is fine.

I think that you have an easy call on the river, because the pot is huge.

After seeing your opponents hand here, you can see why raising the flop might have worked out better, the pot was already nice sized, and your opponent probably had a call with middle pair, but he shouldn't have called two bets cold on the flop, and picked up his heart draw on the turn.

There are a lot of 'How could I have won this hand?' posts where players slowplay a set, and then lose to a runner runner flush or straight, so you have to be aware that that is one of the dangers of not raising the flop here.

gonores
10-09-2003, 01:40 PM
There are a few reasons for you to raise the flop. The first, like others said, is that you need to charge the draws. The second is that raising is what the rest of the table expects you to do here. You see what I am saying? Calling the flop and then raising the turn screams that you have a monster. Instead, if you raise the flop, the table can't easily put you on any particular hand. If you pound them every time you can, people will call you down just to make sure you didn't get mental with AK, and they will pay you a ton if they hit their kicker or catch trips on a later street.

I like your call at the river. It would certainly sting if you raised and got 3-bet.

Doug