PDA

View Full Version : A low limit player's thoughts about the 2+2 table last night

Gomez22
10-08-2003, 08:48 PM
I just won a 20BB pot on Party .50/1.00 from the BB with pocket kings, flopping a set and something hit me about the 2+2 table.

I've been playing with knuckleheads (no offense, whatsoever... just a "term of endearment") lately at low limit tables, and am NOT used to sitting at a table of 9 other players whose games are solid. Winning this hand, I thought... "I wonder how much I woulda won last night at the 2+2 table with this hand?"

All things considered, probably abuot half that..... These players have no idea when to get out (Just like me against GuyOnTilt), so I raped them on the table.

I guess my point is: I can take a low limit table now, and win on it about 75% of the time (some sessions get cut short due to work, server problems, etc.), but on the 2+2 table, I felt like the fish I usually play against. I made no adjustment whatsoever for the level of player I was playing against, although I tried to be super-selective with the hands I played, that can only go so far. Oh, well... maybe next time, I'll be a little more prepared.

P.S. The game moved a hell of a lot faster, too.

GuyOnTilt
10-08-2003, 08:56 PM
If you're used to playing .5/1 tables on Party, I can totally understand how you'd have a hard time adjusting your play to last night's table. When I moved up in limits, it was a gradual process, so I never really noticed any big adjustments that I had to make suddenly; all my improvements were more of a learning process that I did one step at a time. I can imagine I'd be in a world of hurt, though, if I suddenly decided I had the roll to jump up from my 3/6 online games to 15/30 though. I just simply wouldn't be good enough to play at those limits.

Keep posting here and asking questions. Keep working on staying sharp and trying out new ideas at your regular tables. Keep playing your tight/aggressive game. Keep working on hand-reading and ways to increase your EV. Do these things and you're guaranteed to succeed. See you at the 3/6 tables!

BTW, I don't remember what hand you stuck around too long in against me...care to refresh my memory?

Gomez22
10-08-2003, 09:01 PM
That damn QJs hand I had when you were in one of the blinds and had AKos...... and flopped a set of kings....... Please don't remind me.............. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

*Laughing on the inside*

GuyOnTilt
10-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Ahh yes! I remember now! You decided to bluff raise/reraise me on the flop, and raise me again on the turn! That WAS a pretty big pot, I forgot to thank you for that! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding of course! Although I didn't think I really bluffed a lot last night, so I didn't understand your aggression. In fact, I can only remember one bluff bet I made, which was on the river against an opponent whom I thought had missed a draw.

Gomez22
10-08-2003, 09:08 PM
It wasn't you that had bluffed alot, there were a couple others doing it.

Mike Gallo
10-08-2003, 10:23 PM
GoGo Gomez,

If you can hold your own against thinking players you will have complete control over inferior non-thinking opponents.

Post your hands play your best and always make an attempted effort at learning.

Now you know why the "if I only played against good players" argument sounds so ridiculous.

See you next Tuesday.