PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe these guys??!!!

GuyOnTilt
10-08-2003, 06:50 PM
So I was talking with my friend this morning about his session from yesterday. He was playing 4/8 live at a local loose/passive joint. Apparently there was one hand where his play on the river got some locals extremely angry!

My friend was in the EP with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif. On the turn the board was: A /images/graemlins/club.gif[K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]. The SB bets out, my friend raises and gets called by 2 MP's, the CO, the Button, and the original bettor. The river comes: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif[A /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]. The SB again bets out and my friend raises. The rest of the field folds and the SB calls. Both flipped over their cards and the dealer chopped the pot. One of the other players realized that they were both playing the board and got very angry! He yelled at my friend, claiming that it was unethical for him to raise the river and that he should be ashamed of himself! My friend was a little shocked at this outburst and merely said that he always raises the river with the nuts. I guess a couple of the other locals jumped on the bandwagon and proceeded to berate him for his "unethical" play for the next ten minutes or so.

When I heard this story my response was, "Are you joking??!!" Seriously, what ground do these guys think they have to stand on?

daryn
10-08-2003, 06:54 PM
i did this in the foxwoods tuesday night no limit holdem tourney one time. it was broadway on the board just as in your story, no flush possible. the board is the nuts.. so it checks around to me in last position. i pause for a minute.. laugh a little, and say, well.. i think i'll go all in, and i push all my chips out. the next guy calls me, and the other 2 guys in the pot muck their cards in disgust. how funny.

JohnShaft
10-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Anyone that plays badly enough not to realise the final board is the nuts and still folds deserves to lose. Blaming someones else's play for their ignorance is their second mistake.

Good on you Daryn, and your friend, Guy.

Yeknom58
10-08-2003, 07:24 PM
This is not unethical at all, just irritating, it slows the game down.

This sounds like a good game, where was this at? I love retards that will fold a winner.

Moonsugar
10-08-2003, 10:34 PM
It would be unethical for your friend to let them keep his money.

chesspain
10-08-2003, 11:31 PM
As Judge Smails stated in the movie Caddyshack:

"Billy, I've sent boys younger than you to the electric chair; didn't want to do it--felt I owed it to them."

Oblivious
10-08-2003, 11:36 PM
The whole point of poker is to give your opponents every opportunity to make dumb mistakes...

he might want to consider not raising to keep money out of the rake, but if he thinks one person isnt paying attention, he ought to do it. its not unethical at all.

MrGrob
10-09-2003, 06:25 AM
I would have asked them if they wanted a beer on me for being doing that to them -- maybe a few -- that'll help them read the board beter!!! (and they may not even catch on that the drinks are free, but for the tips /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Mike Gallo
10-09-2003, 08:29 AM
Tilt boy,

This happened to Rikay a few months back and he took this bet quite personally.

If you check the archives you will find the thread.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-09-2003, 10:05 AM
I've got to leave work early one of these Tuesdays. I haven't made the Tuesday night since mid-July.

MaxPower
10-09-2003, 11:34 AM
If they were dumb enough to fold to the raise, they have no right to complain. I don't understand their point - they will call one bet with the nuts on board but not two? How is your raise more unethical that the SB's bet?

Nothing unethical about it.

slamdunkpro
10-09-2003, 03:57 PM
This is one of my favorite no limit tournament plays - raising all in at the river with the nuts on the board heads up.

You'd be suprised how many times I've had opponents muck after sitting there trying to figure out just what I've got.

Sloth
10-09-2003, 07:58 PM
This sounds like it happened at the hideaway. I could probably point out the people that got upset as well. And, no, I wasn't there that night.

Thats just good, smart poker. Unethical would be to call flush before you turned over your cards.

GuyOnTilt
10-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Yup. It was at the Hideaway. My friend didn't say exactly who it was that got upset. He has played there all that much in the past though, so he probably wouldn't know their names anyway. He just said it was the regulars who got angry about it.

Personally, I would raise in that spot everytime.

frizzfreeling
10-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Ive had the same thing happen to me heads up. The guy bitched me out. I patiently waited till he was done, then told him I could care less, because im walking home with his money in my wallet. This pissed him off so much that he started raising every hand that I was in. We're talking total trash hands. He left completely broke half an hour later. I loved every minute of it! /images/graemlins/cool.gif