PDA

View Full Version : akshawnd 2+2 table smackdown

conform
10-08-2003, 02:44 PM
sitting in UTG + 2, GuyOnTilt folds UTG, the legendary akshawnd (sitting with $7500 in front of him) calls, I raise with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, two folds to barry, who calls, and it's folded around.

flop comes 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and akshawnd checks. i bet, barry folds, akshawnd calls.

turn is A/images/graemlins/club.gif. akshawnd checks and i decide to slowplay, checking.

river is 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif. akshawnd bets, i raise, he raises, i think for a minute and cap.

Nottom
10-08-2003, 02:54 PM
I don't mind the turn check too much, but only because I think its a good spot to try and induce a bluff (as discussed in HEFAP). Of course that play doesn't work very well if you are going to cap the river. I think he had 88 and you foiled his turn check-raise, only to make up for it on the river.

Inthacup
10-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Who is akshawnd? I've seen him around and played with him a few times. I know he posts here, but don't know his 2+2 name. Thanks.

Cup

conform
10-08-2003, 03:11 PM
i think the consensus opinion is that akshawnd is JA Sucker. i don't know if he has confirmed that. at any rate akshawnd is well respected for his actual play as well as an uncanny ability to say just the right things to make people assume he's an idiot and then tilt like crazy when they lose to him.

Ulysses
10-08-2003, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
turn is A/images/graemlins/club.gif. akshawnd checks and i decide to slowplay, checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

The second Ace makes it much more likely that he'll call you down w/ any pair. He limped in, called a raise, and called a flop bet. He has something. Bet. I don't understand this check at all. The only draw he might have is 67s. I'm sure he'll appreciate the free card if that's the case.

[ QUOTE ]
river is 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif. akshawnd bets, i raise, he raises, i think for a minute and cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise is standard, as he's likely to value bet w/ a lot of hands here. Now, he 3-bets you. Boy, sure feels like he was going for a turn checkraise now. If he's on a resteal, good for him. Just call. What legitimate hand could he possibly have here to 3-bet you with that you can beat? Maybe little Axs that didn't fill up, but that's not very many hands. And isn't he more likely to bet out on the flop or turn w/ those?

Don't like the cap. It's just one more bet, so it doesn't really matter all that much, but I still don't like it.

Ulysses
10-08-2003, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the turn check too much, but only because I think its a good spot to try and induce a bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand could akshawnd have that would limp, call a raise, call a bet on that flop, but then fold to a single bet when the second ace comes on the turn?

Nottom
10-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Your probably right but i'm certainly fearing a check-raise here against a solid player who calls my bet with no draws out there.

I guess the real point I was trying to make is that the turn check served no real purpose if you are just going to raise the river when you don't improve. If he has a calling hand you would have gotten two bets just betting the turn and river, and this way you run the posibility of losing one of those bets while still losing the same amount of bets (or more) to a better hand.

Although I guess if you would have 3-bet the turn and called his cap and river bet, you save a bet this way. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Oblivious
10-08-2003, 03:57 PM
he was slow playing either a bigger ace or a flopped set.

Ulysses
10-08-2003, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the real point I was trying to make is that the turn check served no real purpose if you are just going to raise the river when you don't improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, your main point of his turn check being pointless given his river raise and cap is absolutely correct.