PDA

View Full Version : 40-80 Snakehead, Coilean, Mason and ALL, please help!

NYplayer
10-08-2003, 08:18 AM
Here is a tough situation i find myself in and I need your help! I'm playing fairly tight up front only opening for a raise in a toughish 40-80 game. there is a player who sits on my left who is fairly tight and very aggressive post flop. I saw him checkraise and 4 bet the flop heads up after being 3 bet preflop and bet the turn and river with AKo. He lost to TT.
Anyway, he seems to be 3betting my preflop raises a bit with hands like 66 as well as all of the normal strong holdings. How do i play when I raises with a hand like AQo, get 3 bet and then miss the flop. Do i just fold to a bet and wait for the situation where I have the overpair or hit the flop? He isn't 3betting me everytime I raise. here are 4 hands I've played against him.
Hand1:
I raise with AcJc from early. he 3 bets, heads up.
Flop: 9s 5c 4d
I check he bets, I call.
Turn: Th
I check he bets I fold.
Hand2:
I raise with AdQd he 3bets, headsup.
flop comes Qc 9h 4d.
I check, he bets I call
turn 5c
I check (intending to checkraise), he checks.
river small card.
I bet, he calls and my hand is good.

Hand3.
I raise with AQo, he 3bets, headsup.
flop comes J 8 2 rainbow.
I check he bets I call
turn pairs the 2
I check he bets I raise He 3bets I folded.

Hand4
I raise with AcKc, he cold calls, button (a tough player) cold calls, sb (the weakspot in this game) cold calls.
flop come Js 9d 7h
Sb checks, I decide to check, he bets, button calls, sb calls I decide to fold.
Turn 3d
he bets, button folds, sb calls
river pairs the 3 sb checks, he checks, and sb takes it down with 7d4d, he flashes me AKo.

please help me! do i need to just give up when I miss after being 3 bet by this guy? how should i play if i connect with the flop? i don't want to get run over by him. are his 3bets (which are isolation plays some of the time) a good play?

Buckshot
10-08-2003, 09:15 AM
... is get a seat change immediately the next time he's on your left.

Other than that, I would keep playing the same.

~stephen

snakehead
10-08-2003, 02:58 PM
obviously, you would prefer that he not be on your left, but sometimes, you just don't have the opportunity to move.

the main thing you need to do is fight back to slow him down. you played most of the hands you posted correctly, except #2. here, you should have check-raised the flop, and if he reraises, keep reraising him and don't stop. let him know that you don't care if you lose a rack to him on one hand. this is particularly effective if you are behind, and suck out on him. I would also use this strategy before the flop with aq or ak, and, of course, large pairs.

after a few of these confrontations, he'll back off and play more passively against you.

ghettorat
10-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Sounds like your spitting on the back of your cards and sticking them to your forehead.

DanZ
10-08-2003, 03:23 PM
you do not need a seat change, and you do not need to go to war to stop his aggressive play. You should simply play well, and occaiisionally make a move back at him, but in general, let him bluff away. I would tighten up my raises, but also work in raises with other good hands like TJs to throw him off - perhaps he is reading too hard, or always putting you on AK/AQ... He nis playign too loosely by 3 betting too much, so to make him raise less will improve his play.

skp
10-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Sounds to me like you played all of the hands in a perfectly acceptable manner (I noted in particular how you mixed up your play on hands 1 and 3 which indicates that you are not letting this guy know that he can simply run over you). Incidentally, at some point, even playing checkcall on all three streets with AQ where you have totally missed can be useful. You might even win the pot if his 3 betting hands sre so diverse; at the very least, you get to see his hand. Seeing his hand and, just as importantly, him knowing that you saw that hand may make a not insignificant difference on future hands.

What I mean is this: Suppose you raised preflop with AQ. He 3 bets with 55. Board reads J9424. You checkcall all the way and he wins with his 55. Psychologically, he is going to be less likely to 3 bet you on future hands as he will know that you may now consider his 3 bets to be rather loose and that you will adjust accordingly. If he 3 bets less often as a result, that is better for you as it sounds like this guy knows what he is doing postflop.

I find that most opponents will think this way and reduce their 3 betting frequency. There will be the odd Maverick on whom this will have the opposite effect i.e. he might think "heh, I own this chump to my right. I am just going to hammer him every chance I get".

nykenny
10-08-2003, 04:56 PM
I think snake head has the best advice.

Other than leaving the game (which is not practical, because if you are talking about the 40-80 game at playstation, that's probably the only 40-80 game in NYC), you must fight back by:

1) punish his preflop aggression - when u have a good hand AA, KK, cap it and lead the whole way.
2) punish his flop aggression - check raise everytime you have a hand when he AUTOBETS.
3) punish his turn aggression - be willing to put 3 bets on turn with a good hand.
4) let him bluff the river some times - like when u have AK unimproved...
5) very important - don't just ALWAYS raise! even though it's hard not to given the game condition (i have played in it a couple of times and not liking it), try limping with AK, AQ some times, especially suited.

He likes to isolate you, so u open-limp with a hand that stands a raise or limp behind with a reasonable hand, this way, he can't really get headsup - which he loves so much as i can tell from your post.

Anyway, who the hell is this hot-shot?? what's his name? rather annoying character i feel.

As for me, i may just stick to playing 3 simutaneous short-hand (6 max) 10-20 hold'em on party for good expection when i am playing good, though recent results proved otherwise, hehe.

Kenny

NYplayer
10-09-2003, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would tighten up my raises, but also work in raises with other good hands like TJs to throw him off -

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for responding dan. I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying here. i feel like adding in hands like JTs would loosen my raises not tighten them up. can you explain?
right now from UTG and UTG+1 i'm open raising with AA-99, AK, AQ, AJs, KQs. everything else is right in the muck.