PDA

View Full Version : Is this a badbeat or am I missing somethng?

Redhotman
10-07-2003, 08:52 PM
First hand in game. No reads. Dealt 77 in BB
UTG+1 Limps, SB completes, I check
FLOP
K 7 5
SB bets, I call, UTG+1 Raises. We both call.
TURN
J
SB checks, I check, UTG+1 Bets. SB calls, I rasie, UTG+1 calls.
RIVER
I bet. UTG+1 Raises SB folds. I reraise a he calls it and turns over T8o.

Was his play in anyway correct? Also, why didnt he raise me again? Is he the idiot or am I missing something here?

Redhotman
10-07-2003, 09:00 PM
Avoiding Tilt. After this $96 headache I just got up from the computer and walked away. Couldnt stand to play anymore. How do you guys react to hands like this? How long did it take you to beable to play your A game directly after it happens?

AQoff Plaz
10-07-2003, 09:04 PM
He didn't cap the river because he did not have the best possible hand. Q 10 would be the best possible hand. Second of all this is a bad beat and there is nothing you can do about it. Just forget about it and make sure it does not effect you playing.

ajizzle
10-07-2003, 09:09 PM
It is your own fault for losing the hand. Being the first hand, you clearly have no idea what type of players you are up against. SO WHY ARE YOU WAITING TO CHECK/RAISE THE TURN. If you raise the flop, UTG+1 folds his jackshit (he needs runner/runner to make a straight), and you eventually take down the pot. Your greediness lost you this pot.

Paul Talbot
10-07-2003, 09:11 PM
It's not that bad of a beat.

UTG sees the flop and thinks, "I'm just against two blind hands, they probably didn't flop top pair, I might as act like I have it since I'm the one most likely to have it. I'll raise and win the pot."

Turn. "I guess I'll follow through with my bluff. Damn, got raised, but I have some pride and a stright draw. I'm only getting 7:1 but I'll win a couple more bets if I hit, plus he may be bluffing so I'll call."

River. "Yippee I made it!! He bet into me! I raise! I got raised back? [censored] he probably has QT, I'll just call."

Sure he played the hand badly, but his logic is not at all abnormal. This is not too atypical you need to get used to losing these hands, weak players make them all the time, and one might even argue that his play against two blind hands was actually pretty okay until he called the turn raise.

Regards,

Paul

Bandorn
No he is the classic Loose/aggrosive anytwo calling station. He diffently did not have a calling hand. I love to have these guys sitting to my near left.

Now! Why did yuo not raise immediatly on the flop? Yuo had a possibilty there of running him out. A set of middle cards should be played aggrosively IMO. If yuo had a set of kings yuo might slowplay them till the turn. But in small stakes games middle card sets should be played strongly.

GuyOnTilt
If walking away from your computer and not playing for a while is the only way to combat your tilt, then do it. Good for you for having the sense to walk away. It took me about a month of serious playing before beats didn't affect me anymore. Now I don't even care. Keep everything in perspective. As much as people, even good poker players, like to say that luck is a big factor in poker, I don't buy it; it's all odds. The odds were that you were going to win that hand, and you're making money everytime someone calls you when they shouldn't.

Just think of it this way: If you're a winning player, you're making money for every minute you're sitting at the table, as long as you can avoid going on tilt.

Bandorn
10-07-2003, 09:16 PM
Hang a punching bag in the corner. Some where near the computer. Its a great stress reliever.

Brian
10-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Hi ajizzle,

First of all, the is no guarantee that had Redhotman raised the Flop instead of smooth calling, UTG would have folded. Seeing how maniacal this player is, it's quite likely that he would've stayed in the hand anyways and still beaten Redhotman.

That being said, if by smoothcalling the Flop in this small pot he entices a hand such as T8 to stay in, then by all means he should do so. Considering how small the pot is, if I knew that my opponent had a hand like T8 and would call 1 bet on the Flop but fold for 2, I would definitely call. Even if he outdraws you in the end, he made a mistake by calling, which is good. Of course, if I knew he'd call a double bet with T8 then I'd definitely raise. However, since your argument is that he would've folded to the raise, that is what I am arguing against /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Slowplaying becomes a much more viable tactic when the pot is small. Keep that in mind.

-Brian

Ed Miller
10-07-2003, 09:25 PM
You played fine and he caught cards. The thing you need to learn is how to avoid letting this bother you. Hands like this don't even make me flinch anymore.

ajizzle
10-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Given, we are talking about small stakes (I'm not exactly sure what the stakes here are), there are some major advantages to taking down a hand like this, especially when it is one of the first hands. In fact, the table image you set by being aggressive and taking it down will allow you to steal with mediodre hands later on, and your raises will get much more respect. Showing trip 7's on the first hand and losing to a runner runner straight will give off the image of a player who doesn't have a clue to what they're doing. With this hand in the bank, UTG+1 will probably raise RedHotMan more often and put him in some very tough situations. I understand that there are lots of bets to be made by slowplaying big hands, but when first entering a table, some players must worry about their table image, not how many more bets they squeeze out of their opponents on the first hand.

And besides, I have never seen any maniac cold call two bets with 5 7 8 10 K. Their is really no hope for this type of hand, even in the eyes of a crazyass player.

Redhotman
10-07-2003, 09:54 PM
Calling form UTG+1. I didnt think he was drawing.
There wasnt enough money in the pot to justify trying to take it down on the flop. Plus, why would I want T8o to fold in the first place?

ajizzle
10-07-2003, 09:59 PM
It's a matter of table image, and an implied advantage that you will get in later pots, not the money you would win in the current pot. By being aggresive with your good hands, your raises will get much more respect in later hands, thus allowing you to steal with mediocre hands, both PF and on the flop. I would not fault your play one bit, and it still may be correct, but in my opinion, you may have benifited from waiting for later smooth-call situations, not the first hand.

TJD
10-08-2003, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As much as people, even good poker players, like to say that luck is a big factor in poker, I don't buy it; it's all odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no contradiction here; both you and the "good players" are right.

You comment about odds is spot on. You are playing with a "gamblers edge" if you constantly have odds on your side. Playing in this way will ensure that, in the LONG term, you will win.

"Luck" is merely the way, in the SHORT term, that the cards fall. If they fall for you that is good luck; if against you bad luck. The "good players" are merely saying that over a short period (which could at times feel like a bloody long time), the results are determined entirely by "luck".

Better play may minimise the effect of "bad luck" and maximise the effect of "good luck" but if you get poor hands all night and when you get something at all, you miss every flush draw and the opponents hit every 2 outer you WILL lose /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I suspect that if the quote was genuinely from "good players" that you have missed a little bit out. I am sure that they would have said that "luck was a big factor in the short term"

Trevor

Bob T.
10-08-2003, 04:24 AM
And besides, I have never seen any maniac cold call two bets with 5 7 8 10 K.

You don't get out much, do you?

Noodles
10-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Is this really that bad of a beat? You will see a lot worse.
Anyway i am also just starting out playing poker and to be honest being beaten like this doesnt bother me.Actually it is a good sign as you know the guy played poorly you played better and in the long run you will win more money off of players like this,of course once in a while you will get beaten by a lucky draw,just think when this happens "a well he is just getting a little refund on the money i have won off him so far".
Bad beats are just part of probabilty.Just like in BJ when the count is sky high you double 11 v 6 and lose.Like in sports betting,i bet on european soccer and now am in a major losing streak a bad beat would be like my team winning all the way and in injury time the other team scores a goal,but these things will happen.I will continue betting as i believe I am getting the best of it there will always be swings along the way and you must try to see it like this too.
Try to be impassive and think in terms of probabilty if that doesnt do it for you then by all means scream and roar all you want;-)