PDA

View Full Version : Hand for comment--15-30

Inthacup
10-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Pretty good 15-30 game. Loose but aggressive with patches of passive play.

EP limps, LP limps, I toss in 1 chip in the SB with Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif and BB checks.

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, BB raises, EP cold calls, LP cold calls, I call.

Turn: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, BB checks, EP checks, LP bets, I raise.

What do you think of my play so far? Should I have folded on the flop? 3-bet the flop? Fold on the turn? Call on the turn? What would you do?

What would you do if BB bet on the turn again? Results posted soon.

Cup

Paul Talbot
10-07-2003, 07:12 PM
This is a hard hand to comment on not knowing the players. But you pretty much have to be up against JT, J9, and KJ for your hand to be good. Maybe only 2 as the BB could have something like Q2.

Problem with the turn raise is that you are not likely going to get any of the above hands to fold (they are still getting 4:1). It also does not help your river play because you probably cannot check down. However if you know that the players on your left will fold for two big bets with a draw on the turn then it is a nice play.

I think I bail on the flop playing this hand because hitting your 9 may not help you, you may be out kicked and if you are best you are easily outdrawn.

I'd probably play this in little girl mode. Check the flop and see what happens. Maybe raise a LP bet or fold to two bets or even to one bet and two callers.

As a further point. It might be a limitation of my poker skills, but I try to avoid going to war with marginal hands that I call in the blinds. I tend to back off them quickly if I don't hit the flop really well or if I can't read the hands well enough to be pretty sure I'm ahead.

Regards,

Paul Talbot

Ulysses
10-07-2003, 07:33 PM
This is the kind of hand where I think Tommy's policy of mucking tons of hands in the one-chip SB looks pretty good.

But I'd toss a chip in. From that point on, a lot depends on the opponents.

On the flop, I'd often go for a checkraise and see what happens. I'd bet out a lot as well. The way it went, when two people call the raise, I might just give up right there. But maybe I'd call. It depends, I guess.

On the turn, I'm not sure what I'd do, but it would probably not be checkraise.

All in all, I think folding to the raise and two cold-callers on the flop is the right move. I'm probably behind and the cards that help me quite likely help someone else more.

Ulysses
10-07-2003, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a further point. It might be a limitation of my poker skills, but I try to avoid going to war with marginal hands that I call in the blinds. I tend to back off them quickly if I don't hit the flop really well or if I can't read the hands well enough to be pretty sure I'm ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most players would make more money if they followed this strategy.