PDA

View Full Version : Funniest book I've ever read

04-21-2002, 05:20 AM
"Poker: A Guaranteed Income for Life" is available at this site: http://www.neo-tech.com/poker/ to read entire text for free.

Not sure how or why, but it's there. Anyhow, for a chuckle take a look but I can't vouch for the contents. Some interesting stuff on manipulation, but I have a hard time believing much of it.

04-21-2002, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I own the book. Didn't read all of it, but it's interesting how he talks about his once a week game which he usually wins $300-600 each time, yet he makes over $50K a year doing it.(my figures may be a bit off, friend has the book right now.)

04-21-2002, 12:30 PM
As I recall, he plays in four different games every week, with the Tuesday game being the big one. Presumably, he wins in all of them. It is a moderately ridiculous book, and it doesn't have much of anything about strategy.

04-21-2002, 03:13 PM
I remember the book being primarily about manipulating players. I once posted asking for responses from those who had successfully hypnotized opponents by stirring the pot with their index finger. Noy much response. When I'm playing upper-tier games at the Bellagio, I frequently throw a big, fat, juicy subamrine sandwhich into the pot. Results are mixed. I'll continue my research as soon as I'm let back in.

His sections on record keeping and tells are excellent. I think he may have been one of the first to write extensively on these subjects.

04-21-2002, 04:00 PM
Now that you mentioned it, the record-keeping info is pretty good.

As for the hoagie, well, I can actually see some of this stuff working in the occasional home game I play. We once played with Mentos brand mints instead of chips, and one guy was very stoned on pot and actually ate a few of the mint chips. Luckily, I was banking so I made a little right there!

As for the rest of the manipulation stuff, well, it's pretty bizarre and hard to believe (chanting "call call call" under your breath to get someone to call).