PDA

View Full Version : KK in the SB

ThingDo
10-07-2003, 03:44 AM
I have red KK's
in the SB and its folded to me. I don't have a read on the BB, but I decide to just call... no real reason other than I consider taking one BB with KK a disaster.

I call BB checks.

Flop AA9 two clubs.

I check BB bets I call intending to check raise the turn.

Turn 2c I check button bets I raise button calls.

River is a blank club. I bet button calls.

How bout it?

Brian
10-07-2003, 04:13 AM
I raise here pre-Flop every time. Here are a few reasons why:

1) I never limp here in the small blind. So when I do, against opponents who pay attention, this play will look suspicious.

2) I find that players generally get quite defensive when you try to "steal their blinds", and often they will re-raise you with much inferior hands to gain back the "advantage". Even if they don't have that great of a hand, they will be more tempted to call you all the way down to the River with nothing when you raise than when you let them see their free Flop. This is because after you raise they have to "keep you honest" and/or because "they already have more money invested in the pot".

3) Your argument of only winning the big blind here isn't a great one in my opinion. When your opponent has a bad hand that doesn't hit the Flop, you are still only winning a big blind. However, you are giving them a free opportunity to hit a Flop that COULD beat you. Make them pay for it.

4) Often an opponent will have a hand here like KJ that he would have called a raise with anyways, but is not likely to hit a Flop with (since 2 K's are already gone). Therefore, when you merely call and he has that KJ hand and he misses, he will probably just fold to your bet. However, you get that extra small bet out of him when you raise pre-Flop and he checks or folds on the Flop.

I could think of a ton of reasons why I would raise here pre-Flop. I agree, it stinks when they just Fold, but keep in mind that they probably would've just checked or folded the Flop more than likely anyways, and you are giving them infinite pot odds to wait for the hand that does beat you.

[EDIT]: I think that the hand was misplayed the whole way through. Raising pre-Flop and then betting out on the Flop would be best, but considering the way you played it, I would have check-raised on the Flop. By check-calling and then checking the Turn, you are potentially giving a single Club a free card to beat you. It's very possible that he only bet the Flop as an attempt to steal and would check it right through on the Turn fearing a Flush or an Ace. And what if he DOES have the Flush or an Ace? You're only getting re-raised right back and throwing up.

-Brian

ThingDo
10-07-2003, 04:25 AM
Thought I played this one pretty badly, and I agree with brians advice. Any and all comments are appreciated.