PDA

View Full Version : Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas

Redhotman
10-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Anyone read the book? Funniest [censored] I have ever read. Anyone ever gone on one of those drug binges?

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-07-2003, 08:25 AM
Anyone read the book?

Loved it. And it's not even his best. Try Hells Angels.

Anyone ever gone on one of those drug binges?

I forget /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Uston
10-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah. Hilarious book. It's just as funny the second and third time you read it.

I also recommend 'A Confederacy Of Dunces' by John Kennedy Toole. Slightly different type of humor but almost as funny.

Copernicus
10-07-2003, 03:05 PM
I think its a lot better than Hells Angels, but then I was a lot closer to the hippie scene than the biker crowd.

The movie didnt get great reviews, but I thought they did a very good job of capturing the feel of the book. While the movie may have seemed "over the top" to some, you hadda be there.

Even though HST hated it I also thought Bill Murray caught him pretty well in Where the Buffalo Roam

MaxPower
10-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Don't forget The Great Shark Hunt and Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72.

The rest of his works can probably be skipped.

I actually met Hunter Thompson one time at a reading in New York and have a picture of myself with him. He had brought a mixed tape of music to the reading and kept interupting the reading to play songs. I remember one of the songs was Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum. When I went up to shake his hand I had no idea what to say, so I just said, "I love the mixed tape." I think he got a kick out of it.

Tom Wolfe also wrote an excellent piece on Las Vegas in one of his old books. I think it was "The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamlined Baby"

Copernicus
10-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Ahhh yes, the KKTFSB...the only Humanities course I ever liked included reading that, Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, and On the Road. As I recall the article you are referring to was titled

Las Vegas (What?) Las Vegas (Can't Hear You! Too Noisy) Las Vegas!!!

I first found EK-AAT the summer before during a 3 month acid-induced haze and loved it even at the surface level. When the course connected its characters to On the Road it was probably the first time that reading made those little hairs at the back of my neck stand up. (The next time I think was reading Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs.)

I was staying at the Trop during some of the filming of Fear and Loathing, but never got to see any of Johnny Depp, just the extras.

I was also staying at the MGM when they were doing Vegas Vacation, and Sid Caesar's Keno scene. They should show outtakes from the filming of that...everyone was rolling on the floor between the slot machines!

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-09-2003, 12:00 PM
but then I was a lot closer to the hippie scene than the biker crowd.

I have history with both /images/graemlins/cool.gif