PDA

View Full Version : Betting AK on a missed flop or free card

Redhotman
10-06-2003, 09:09 PM
When you have AK on the button and you raise and 4 people see
Q J 5
Do u bet here, knowing you are behind, or take a free card?

Header
10-06-2003, 10:16 PM
I would bet and hope for a free card on the turn if I missed again.

brian0729
10-06-2003, 10:47 PM
With a check to you, bet with your two overcards and st8 draw, take the free card on the turn if needed.

Nottom
10-06-2003, 11:54 PM
I tend to bet when I have gutshot to go with my overcards, I'm more likely to just check if it wasn't there.

Homer
10-07-2003, 12:00 AM
I tend to bet unless my opponents often checkraise. I do this because:

1) I might take down the pot immediately

2) If I don't take down the pot immediately, my bet is going to be close to neutral EV or even +EV since I have up to 10 outs

3) I set myself up to either:

- A) Take a free card on the turn (A free card on the turn is worth more than one on the flop) OR

- B) Take it down with a bet (I might bet again if only a single player called the flop bet. Obviously whether or not you fire again depends on the particular opponent)

-- Homer

The Bear
10-07-2003, 12:24 AM
In a LL online game, I bet nearly every time in this situation. You're getting 8-1 or better on the bet to take it down immediately. These odds are very relevant, even though many players will sometimes call you w/ hands like 77 here. Though you will often be behind if called, there will be times when you're actually ahead (like when some poor souls are calling w/ Ax and 89). Add your ten outs and you're in damn good shape. If this were a live game, there might be times when I would check (based on visual cues), but online I'm firing that barrel.

Dynasty
10-07-2003, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I tend to bet unless my opponents often checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be happy if one of your opponents check-raises you with a one-pair hand. You want to do everything possible to knock opponents out of the hand and increase your chances of winning the pot.

On this Q,J,5 flop, it would be fantastic if somebody with Q9 raised your bet and knocked everybody else out of the hand. This ensures that all 10 of your outs are good. You don't want hands like AT, 54, or other hands which have the potential to counterfeit you outs or make better than one-pair hands sticking around.