PDA

View Full Version : KK ... confusing.

ThingDo
10-06-2003, 06:42 PM
I'm in the SB with black K's and a MP decent player with good raising standards raises, I reraise he calls. Its HU.

Flop 87A 3 hearts. I bet he calls.

Turn is the Qh. I bet he calls. At this point, isn't it safe to assume that he has an A here, but is either scared off by my agression or the hearts on board?

River is a blank, I check he checks behind. I can't see a lesser hand calling me down here. I really couldn't see a lesser had calling me on the turn either.... how did I do? please help.

GuyOnTilt
10-06-2003, 07:04 PM
The only hands that'll call that you can beat are medium pocket pairs or KQ who doesn't believe you have an A. I think you should check-call the river. I may have even check-called the turn after he called me on the flop.

ThingDo
10-06-2003, 07:52 PM
What exactly does check calling on the turn gain me? What hands is he going to call with on the flop that don't beat me now... is it even worth check calling the turn? As opposed to check folding...

GuyOnTilt
10-06-2003, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't check-fold the turn headsup; I'd need more convincing that my opponent had an ace than his flop call. I don't know if I'm thinking correctly, so I'd appreciate it if somebody would correct me if I'm wrong:

By checking the turn, you may induce your opponent to bluff. You also may induce him to bet with his medium pocket pairs or his pair of Q's, thinking that they're good. You also may get a weaker ace to check, saving yourself a bet. You don't risk giving a free card when you check the turn, because there's not really any hands that your opponent would call the flop with that you beat that have more than a couple outs.

Ulysses
10-06-2003, 08:44 PM
This is a tough hand. My play here would be very dependent on the opponent.

My default play given the action up to the river would be to fire again. Why? There are a lot of players who could fold something like AsJs here.

How does he call the turn and fold on the river? Well, I've seen plenty of players in situations like this who aren't convinced that you have a heart by the turn bet, but can't imagine you could possibly fire again on the river without a heart.

Anyway, that was just a long-winded way of saying this: One reason to bet again on the river is to get an Ace/no-heart hand to fold.

GuyOnTilt
10-06-2003, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of players who could fold something like AsJs here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't think of a single type of player who would lay down AJ on the river here. I don't think you can get a better hand to fold.

Ulysses
10-06-2003, 09:18 PM
I said a lot of players. That's probably too much. But you're underestimating the number of times this happens:

Turn - one card straight or flush on the board. Hero bets. opponent w/ big pair calls.

River - nothing changes. Hero bets again. Opponents changes his mind and decides that Hero really does have the straight or flush.

I know it happens because these opponents often disgustedly slam down their cards face-up at the end.

Maybe it happens less online, but I'm sure it happens.

ThingDo
10-06-2003, 09:45 PM
Opponent had AQo for the turned two pair. Anyway, this was a tough one. Thanks for the help.