PDA

View Full Version : What does this do to my table image?

08-02-2002, 12:39 AM
Due to my "youth" (31 years old) and Massachusetts accent, I've assumed that many of my opponents will assume that I'm just a tourist in Las Vegas gambling it up.

One way I keep opponents from too easily learning I'm a good player is by not talking poker at the table. I try my best not to give them information that I know more than may outwardly appear.

However, sometimes events out of your control will occur which should let your opponents know that you're not just some fish donating to the better players. This could be as simple as another regular talking to you by name and bringing up poker topics (Pokerbabe is guilty of this). Tonight, this happened to me in the extreme.

I was in the Mirage 20-40 game for about half an hour. The player on my left was in town for the BARGE convention. I think a couple other players at the table were also BARGE members. It should be safe to assume that a BARGE member has reasonable knowledge of the poker world. Then, Mason Malmuth and David Sklansky walk up behind me and get my attention. Mason introduces me to David (David & I had never talked before) and asked me a few questions about the short-handed study groups I've been participating in. Of coruse, I'm more than happy to say hello and have a short converstation. After a few words, Mason and David went on their way.

I turned around in my seat to get focused on the game again. Then, I noticed that the BARGE member on my immediate left was staring at me like I was from outer space. Apparently, having Mason Malmuth and David Sklansky approach you at a poker table and ask you about a study group has an impact on your table image.

What do you think the impact of your opponents suddenly realizing, through a non-playing event, that you almost certainly know more than they thought you did?

Should/how it impact how I play?

Whatever the effect, I don't think it hurt my EV tonight. Nobody seemed to have a problem calling me down when I flopped a full-house just half an hour later. /images/smile.gif

08-02-2002, 01:28 AM
I think for the most part it would help. The only possible downside is that people might try to outplay you to say they did. I imagine people do this with known players. I don't have a lot of time in Las Vegas middle-limit games, but find myself being pretty careful if Roy Cooke, Cissy Bottoms, or that Vince guy are in the game. The flip side is that if you are really well known, I suspect people don't want to be embarrassed and play tighter. But I think you have to love it if they know you're a respected player. Your bets and raises on the turn will make you a lot of money I think.

BTW, I was downloading UB software last night hoping to play but had to stop and do something else. Maybe next week, I keep meaning to. Oh well. How do I know which table it is if I finally manage to get on? Are the names obvious?

08-02-2002, 01:36 AM
"Should/how it impact how I play? "

wait for the action to see if you need to adjust. not just because a guy was looking at you. if theyre playing the same way anyway, then no change. if they tighten up, then adjust to it.

they may try to beat you also. stupid as it sounds, then they can have a story that they beat the 'player' at the table...it does happen

i get comments all the time now from some regs. they call me mr. 'loose chips' sarcastically, 'nut man', 'tables getting tough' some say. but you wont know the effect until you play. wish theyd shut up actually.. haha /images/wink.gif

again, just watch the texture for change when you come in...then worry about changing...a mistake would be to change prematurely.

b

08-02-2002, 01:46 AM
It's well known that we are only nice to live ones. So our visit probably did your image wonders.

I have advocated that in limit hold 'em you want to have a tight image and having your opponents fear you is to your advantage. So in that sense, if the visit helped get you a few free cards or turned someone's raise into a call we might have been helpful.

By the way, you had a enough chips on the table that I almost asked for a loan.

Best wishes,

Mason

08-02-2002, 02:54 AM
This is what I think. When they're trying to think about what you're thinking, it would probably make them go a level or two deeper in the "what does Dynasty think, what does Dynasty think we think, and what does Dynasty think we think Dynasty thinks" analysis of Dynasty's thinking processes. /images/smile.gif

08-02-2002, 03:22 AM
It's almost always play table 8 at UB. And, since my name is Dynasty on UB, it should be easy to find me.

08-02-2002, 01:51 PM
Regarding having regulars and dealers calling you by your first name...

A friend of mine, who is a regular poster on 2+2 mentioned to me numerous times that he does not like devulging his real name at the cardhouse, eventhough he's been a regular at one of the LA cardhouses for over a year. Whenever a player or a dealer asks what his real name is, he replies "I prefer to be called XX (his initials)."

I never understood why he did this, thinking he was just being paranoid (he can sometimes be a little weird.) But the other day he explained it to me. He read an article in Cardplayer a few months back about Mr. X. The article was about live game players that no one really knows but always seems to win. He calls them "the silent assassins". I believe being this type of player has enormous benefits towards your game, because the less your opponents know about you and your game - the better off you are. Not to mention when dealers, floormen, and other players begin calling you by your first name - that screams to everyone that you are a regular.

~GDS

08-02-2002, 05:07 PM
"By the way, you had a enough chips on the table that I almost asked for a loan. "

- Mason Malmuth

that's way too funny.

08-02-2002, 05:44 PM
just because your a regular, doesnt mean your any good. many of the regulars i play with, who everyone in the room knows, suck. it may make him feel better thinking that way. but the better players who are regulars will have already noted his play, and many times the newbies could care less. i think any cardroom i walk into around here, someone will know me, and say hi. what does he do then? hush them? haha

this isnt quite like BJ where the benefits/detriments of 'who' you are can have an immediate impact on your game or whether you'll even be able to play. That's where to use the assassin mentality more-so.

b

08-04-2002, 04:22 PM
Hi Dynasty- Your image can only IMPROVE when you speak to Mason, David and the Babe! /images/biggrin.gif. See ya soon and...oh..btw....no chatting from me anymore... Babe