PDA

View Full Version : I flopped a straight....

chesspain
10-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Party 1/2, fairly tight-aggressive table...I am dealt T /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif UTG

Given how the table has been playing (usually at least one raise and only 3-4 to the flop), I almost muck, but then I bitchslap myself and call...folded to early MP who calls, late MP poster checks, CO, button, and SB all call, BB checks...seven see the flop

Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets, BB folds, I raise (smooth call instead?), folded all the way around to SB who calls.

(Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif) Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, I bet, he calls.

(Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif) J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, I bet, he calls...

I take the pot when he shows A /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

While it was a decent pot to take, with all of the PF callers, I wonder if I should have only smooth-called on the flop. I admit that my flop bet was based somewhat in fear, since even with the rainbow flop, I never assume that a flopped straight will automatically hold up when there are seven to see it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

GuyOnTilt
10-06-2003, 06:43 PM
If your table is tight/aggressive, you should: #1) find a new table, and #2) fold JTs UTG. At a loose/passive table, limping here is fine, but if you know that most pots are raised and not multiway, you should've gone with your female intuition and mucked it.

On the flop, I would've smooth called and gone for overcallers. Your hand isn't vulnerable, except to a J or T, in which case you may end up chopping. But if somebody hits a 2-outer to a gutshot because you went for overcalls, so be it; I think it's worth the calls that ou may get from 2nd pair,top pair/mediocre kicker, and the like. After the flop, you played you hand fine.

chesspain
10-06-2003, 07:54 PM
While I think you are right about the smooth call, I was actually more afraid of giving a cheap card to either: someone holding AT or AJ for the higher straight if either a T or J hit the board, or someone who limped with Kxs or Qxs and who might stick around to see the turn for a potential runner-runner flush.

I also understand your comment about finding another table, although the good old days of loose-passive 1/2 Party tables may be coming to an end /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Nottom
10-07-2003, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
someone holding AT or AJ for the higher straight if either a T or J hit the board, or someone who limped with Kxs or Qxs and who might stick around to see the turn for a potential runner-runner flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

These people are all calling you anyway in most 1/2 games so it unlikely you will lose much by not raising here. I think this might be one of the times its worth the risk to smoothcall and get an extra bet or 2 in although the pot is pretty big, so just winning it now is certainly not a bad idea either.