PDA

View Full Version : Extra info

Avarice
10-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Playing late on a Thursday night in a local 6/12 game when the following happens:

You're idly watching the dealer shuffle, and as he finishes, he accidently exposes the deuce of clubs. He lazily replaces the card on top of the deck, cuts 20 cards deep, and deals. After the deal, you can still see where he cut, and firmly believe that the deuce will be the middle card of the flop.

An early position player raises, and it is (strangely for this game) folded around to you on the button where you look down to see the four and deuce of spades. You already have $3 invested because that's how they take time at this establishment, so it'll cost you $9 to call or $15 to raise.

What's your move, and how do you play out the rest of the hand (assuming your move isn't fold)?

--Avarice

Bandorn
10-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Umm. Do u realy want to play a early position Raiser with a 42s even nowing yuo going to flop a pair of 2. Haveing the extra info is great. I think Id waite.

haakee
10-07-2003, 01:54 AM
Given that your local 6-12 game is my local 6-12 game and I know the game is quite loose I would wait for better opportunity to use my amazing flop prediction skillz. I'd hate to get called by one or both of the blinds. With tighter blinds I think *maybe* you can 3-bet if you know the raiser and will be able to narrow down his hand when the flop comes. It'd be an awesome advertising play if it worked.

inkstain
10-07-2003, 04:27 AM
I started to think that the post was gonna go something like "... and I have pocket deuces on the button, so do I three-bet knowing that the loose players will likely call or just call to make sure everyone else comes in?"

But 2-4?

Dynasty
10-07-2003, 04:55 AM
Isn't this situation close enough to having 22 on the button without any knowledge of what's coming on the flop? Can't you play the two hands exactly the same way?

SoBeDude
10-07-2003, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this situation close enough to having 22 on the button without any knowledge of what's coming on the flop? Can't you play the two hands exactly the same way?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting situation. there are benefits and disadvantages here.

The benefit is now there is one less card in the flop that will help your opponent.

The disadvantage is there is one less card to help you flop a set.

Do they cancel each other out?

-Scott

Leonardo
10-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Intuitively, having 24 with a 2 on the flop is much better than having 22 and not knowing the flop. I would reraise. He could have a tonne of hands, and u have approx 4-1 shot of hitting a flop of two pair or better(and its unlikely he would put you on them if they hit). He will probably call a flop bet even if he has nothing, so assume he makes a pair or better by the turn about 1/2 the time. SO i figure if you keep betting, u win 1/2 the time when u make nothing more. that is approx 1/3 of the time total i think. another 1/3 u make better than one pair and probably win, and the other 1/3 u may be a 2-1 dog. I say go for the raise. These numbers are all out of my ass, but they are close enough.

Barry
10-07-2003, 10:08 AM
SoBe -

It's the same # of cards for you. If you have 22, and don't know whats coming on the flop, there are 2 2's left to make you a set.

If you have a 2 and you know that 1 "2" is coming on the flop, there are still 2 other 2's left. Of course in this case you would make trips instead of a set. Now the probability of the 3rd "2" coming is a less as you only have 4 shots at the 3rd "2", not 5.

Franchise (TTT)
10-07-2003, 06:58 PM
You're also able to make 2 pair, which isn't possible when you have a pocket pair.

If you end up with one pair on the flop, you have 5 outs instead of the normal 2, meaning it's easier to improve on the turn. Looking at it that way, maybe it is worth a play... You have to be pretty damn certain you're hitting that 2 though.

Edited: Wait, I lied. Don't play for a raise.