PDA

View Full Version : The Gorton's Fisherwoman!

Blue Sky
10-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Colorado $2 to $5 spread limit game...seems to be alternating between Loose passive & Loose Aggressive cycles about everyother dealer down. (for a half hour no pots are above $35 dollars and the next half hour no pots are below $150.) Same players throughout the cycles, maybe its not changing based on the dealers, maybe its based on the waitress bringing everyone caffeine...anyway on to the question.

The Gorton's Fisherwoman mentioned in the subject is a see ya at the river calling station. She had sat down and ran her $100 up to $350 or so and is now close to re-buying. These hands look like she is aggressive but they are the only hands I can remember her raising all night.

These are bascially the exact same hands and players involved.

1st hand - I'm MP and pick up A's. I raise and 3 people behind me call, Blinds and EP's mucked. I'm now the 1st to act.

Flop comes A 8 7 rainbow.
I check, next to act bets, fold, Gorton (button) calls, I c/r, fold, Gorton calls.

Turn is a 9.
I bet out, Gorton raises, I 3 bet, she pops it again and I call.

River is a 5.
I check call and my hand is good over her 98o two pair.

2nd hand - Once again I'm MP with Q's. I raise with 3 callers behind me and once again I'm first to act on the flop.

Flop comes 2 Q 3 rainbow.
I check, next to act bets, fold, Gorton calls, I c/r, they both call.

Turn is a 4.
I bet out, call, Gorton raises, I 3 bet, fold, Gorton re-raises, I call.

River is a 9.
I check call and lose to her A5o wheel.

Basically these two hands cancel each other out in my chip stack but I want to know how you all would play them differently if at all.

Barry
10-06-2003, 05:04 PM
What is it with this checking the flop when you flop top set? You said she is a calling station, not a betting station. You can get pretty predictable. Preflop raise, checkraise the flop = a set. Preflop raisers checking the flop is a big red flag!

Bet the flop; if someone flops top pair you may get to 3-bet the flop. Normally I would bet and raise a every opportunity here. To vary my game I might consider calling a flop raise and checkraise the turn, if I had enough confidence that the flop raiser would bet the turn. But I would almost always bet the flop, because I don't want to risk getting it checked around.

In the second hand, if you bet and the bettor raised you might have gotten her to fold her gutshot, maybe not, but you didn't give her the chance.