PDA

View Full Version : Are higher limits really harder?

James282
10-06-2003, 02:22 AM
I believe I have noticed an interesting anomoly in shorthanded poker. I actually find it much easier to beat 20/40 than 10/20 online. I feel like the 10/20 players are playing 10/20 because they believe that they are good, but are also constantly working to improve their game, generally tighter(they dont want to make that jump to 20/40 just yet), and don't believe that they can outplay everybody.

I take most of my money off of people on 20/40 simply because they think they can put a move on me. They believe that being capable of a check-raise bluff, a 3 bet bluff, or being able to catch someone on a bluff makes them an expert player. What they don't realize is, people do get hands that a check-raise won't push them off. They don't realize that If I hit a king with my AK I am going to three bet them whether they check-raise or not! Instead of playing tight-aggressive poker, they play wildly aggressive poker. This seems to be a very interesting aspect of the psychology of poker that goes along with the general finding that Schoonmaker posted about how poker players almost always think they are better than they really are. They believe they are varying their play, but they are just making stupid plays. I believe this is unique to shorthanded games because it allows so much more creativity, and hands like middle pair and ace high do drag pots down. I have found the ring games to be progressively harder and extremely difficult at the maximum bet, but shorthanded games seem to turn people into maniacs as the limits get higher. Has anyone found anything similar to this?
-James