PDA

View Full Version : Stars Software

Brian
10-06-2003, 02:10 AM
I looked in the archives for this but didn't come up with anything. Is it just me or is the Poker Stars software incredibly slow? Since receiving a buy-in at Stars, I have been playing 3 tables at Party while simultaneously playing a few at Stars, and I find that the games move along MUCH faster at Party. Perhaps almost even twice as fast. Why???

-Brian

tiltboy
10-06-2003, 09:25 AM
Maybe its bozos who try to play 5 tables at once slowing it down?

Rushmore
10-06-2003, 10:17 AM
It's not Stars, because the software is fine.

It could easily be your connection having a tough time handling your playing 2 sites/ 5 tables whatever.

Try playing only Stars. Is it still slow? If so, uninstall/reinstall, then see is it's any better.

I can tell you that I have found Stars 100%, unlike many other sites, so something's not right here, unless you live on the Aleutian Islands or something.

In which case, you should be ice fishing or something anyway.

Ro-me-ro
10-06-2003, 11:41 AM
Try turning sounds and animation off on stars - this should also speed things up.

Rom

Brian
10-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Hey guys,

It's not because I am playing 5 tables at once - I have played in quite a few tournaments there without playing any other tables. Also, my connection is cable, I have a pretty fast computer, and all other sites work fine for me. So, I don't think that is it either. I'll try turning off sounds and animations and see if that helps, but I think I misdefined slow...

By slow, I mean that it takes FOREVER for the other players to act. I fold my hand and then I don't get another hand for a few minutes. It seems like the Flops are dealt slower, the hands are dealt slower, and it takes a lot longer for a hand to complete when I am *not* in it. This is actually helpful to me when I am playing a lot of tables, but it's annoying when I am just playing on Stars.

Later on today I'll run an equal number of Stars tables alongside Party tables for an equal amount of time and let you guys know how many more/less/same hands I get. Maybe it's just me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Brian

DrSavage
10-06-2003, 05:00 PM
It's true, poker stars is a bit sluggish.
The main reason is that for some unknown reason they slowroll at any given opportunity. Flop is slowrolled, turn is slowrolled,river is slowrolled. Even winner scooping chips is slowrolled even if he's the only one left in the hand.
This all adds up to at least 15 seconds a hand by my expectations. I've never played ring games there but I'd expect them dealing around 30% hands less than Party per hour.
And yes, all the images , sounds and your internet connection don't matter much. Slowroll happens on a server side and for everyone at the table.
I'm not sure if it's intentional ( i seriously don't think so) or just sucky network code/hardware.

Legend27
10-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Playing 5 tables at once shouldn't slow your connection down and if it did it should be obvious to you that's you laggin and not the other players. I've played 3 tables on party 3 on stars at the same time and didn't have any problems. I've played on both sites alot on NL only and the hand speed is about the same. The deal on stars might be a little slower but a max of 9 players instead of 10 keeps it about as fast as party.

dwt95
10-07-2003, 10:27 AM
i've found that if it's slowrolling, then i've won at stars. it's just giving the other players time to muck their losing hand.