PDA

View Full Version : AQo hand, fast and dirty

Diplomat
10-06-2003, 12:25 AM
Ok 10-20 game online. I've seen better games, but there are some soft spots.

Weak, straightforward player limps under the gun. Folded to me in middle position and I raise with AQo. Folded to the BB, another weak player, who calls. UTG calls.

Flop comes 799. BB checks, UTG bets, I raise, BB folds, UTG three-bets, I fold.

Comments?

-Diplomat

Vehn
10-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Why don't you just fold to the flop bet?

Diplomat
10-06-2003, 12:58 AM
That's my question exactly.

-Diplomat

Mason Malmuth
10-06-2003, 01:11 AM
Hi Diplomat:

This hand's a little trickier than it appears. Given that there are only three players and the fact that with that flop you should automatically bet if checked to, you need to ask the question "Why did your opponent bet into you?"

One reason to bet is that they want you to fold and their holding is questionable, perhaps even weaker than your ace high. Another reason is that they have floped a very strong hand and are looking for three bets.

So unless this player is very tricky, he's clearly looking for three bets in this instance and therefore you should fold. As for your flop raise, notice that is you catch him weak you might be able to win it on fourth street or perhaps take a free card there if you don't improve.

Best wishes,
Mason

Rushmore
10-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Clearly, you don't fold to the flop bet because you're not certain of his motive or where you stand.

If you were to routinely fold in this spot (the preflop bet), you'd be giving away far too much.

Softrock
10-06-2003, 11:31 AM
You don't fold to the flop bet because many decent players will put you on two big cards when you raise BTF and will figure that with this scary flop that they can bet anything and maybe you will fold. If it was me UTG I would make such a play against someone who would often fold a hand like AQ in this situation.

Coilean
10-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Rushmore,

The UTG limper was described as weak and straightforward. I think routinely folding in this spot is not giving away anything, and is in fact the proper play.

Diplomat
10-06-2003, 01:05 PM
Hi Softrock,

considering that the limper was weak and straightforward, do you still advocate playing on?

-Diplomat