PDA

View Full Version : JJ UTG+2

Justaloser
10-05-2003, 09:19 PM
Dealt two red jacks.

UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, I raise, only blinds and UTG+1 call.

Flop is 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me and I bet. SB and UTG+1 call

Turn is 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to me, I bet, SB checkraises. I call.

River is T /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets, I call.

Results

He turns over QJos.

Ed Miller
10-05-2003, 09:24 PM
You gotta stop calling these down, man. Generally, when you have a pocket pair that is not an overpair, and you get raised on the turn in a small pot, you need to be folding unless you really suspect a bluff for some reason. You should have easily folded both this hand and your TT hand to the turn raise.

crockpot
10-05-2003, 09:25 PM
i fold on the turn unless SB is very tricky. against a typical opponent, you are playing two outs. check-raise bluffs are very rare at these limits, and certainly not common enough that you should call two double size bets hoping to catch one.

Justaloser
10-05-2003, 09:38 PM
Am I making myself a mark by calling down? I'm just having trouble understanding how people can call raises with what I'm losing to.

Does it look like people are chasing knowing that I'll pay off if they hit?

Redhotman
10-05-2003, 09:42 PM
you are the chaser. learn to fold.

Justaloser
10-05-2003, 09:49 PM
you are the chaser. learn to fold.

Three of the hands I posted I was the favorite. I may need to learn to fold, but I certainly don't think that I was chasing .

Ed Miller
10-05-2003, 09:56 PM
I'm just having trouble understanding how people can call raises with what I'm losing to.

How do they call a raise? They say, "I have two cards and four dollars."

Most players don't study the game and don't give a rip what kind of hand they "need" to call a raise with. Get used to it. You need to fundamentally understand that, or you will continue to be baffled.

Justaloser
10-05-2003, 10:03 PM
You need to fundamentally understand that, or you will continue to be baffled.

I understand what you are saying. And I'm working on coming to fully accept that. But understand that it's easier for me to blow off steam here, than at the table.

Also, I want to thank you for responding to many of my posts and giving me direct replies. You have helped me improve (I've just backslid a bit).

Dylan Wade
10-05-2003, 10:36 PM
You were chasing, unless you called because you felt he was stone cold bluffing. That's really rare. It's quite common for a player to represent dueces when they really only have Q's ;if you had A's or K's I'd call it down too. But here we have someone representing 2's. Either they have a 2, or they have a Q, or they are stone cold bluffing. What do you think is most likely? The only thing you could beat is the very unlikely one (he is raising with nothing). It should've be obvious that you are most likely beaten after the turn raise-- so your decision to call it down meant you were drawing to improve your hand with 2 outs, aka chasing.

On the other hand, if the player was giving off certain "tells" or he was often raising with nothing.. your call was not chasing but a good read. (If you're really confident with this read, I'd suggest re-raising him to keep him in line for the future. Of course, add a little "hollywood" to the re-raise. For instance stare him down and say "re-raise"-- tip all your chips over and stand up. LOL jk ;P)

But, since we're playing limit HE I recommend you never expect players to raise with "nothing", even if you know the guy is trying to steamroll you. At least give them credit to beat the board before you call their bluff....

BaronVonCP
10-06-2003, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Three of the hands I posted I was the favorite. I may need to learn to fold, but I certainly don't think that I was chasing .

[/ QUOTE ]

You were the favorite before the flop, and you did well by raising. But you were far from the faovorite after the flop.

Good preflop hands can have bad flops. And crummy hands can have good flops.

I'm learning a lot about this game and one of the most important things of learned is to not get too attached to a hand. I 3 bet my pocket kings preflop, and when the flop comes A high and its 2 bets to me I fold.

Save that money when you are behind, and you'll net more overall.