PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Town?

offTopic
10-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Might be heading to Vegas sometime in November...if I go, it's likely the room is at Sam's Town. How's the LL action there? Any thoughts on the room in general?

offTopic
10-14-2003, 08:00 PM

FeliciaLee
10-15-2003, 01:29 PM
Okay, I guess you want responses. I would guess your lack of responses is because no one wants to tell the honest, brutal truth about Sam's Town.

If you want brutal honesty, I'm your gal.

Sam's Town is a dump. Seats are uncomfortable and sometimes ripped. Angleshooting is a way of life, accepted by dealers and floor alike.

Locals are given preferential floor decisions all the time. I'll name two examples and you can judge for yourself:

The poker room manager decided to get rid of short buys almost altogether. Good idea, in theory. He made the restrictions for a short buy so prohibitive, that it is almost impossible. The way it was explained to me, if a player goes all-in for their remaining chips, but they have quarters on the table, and don't declare "all-in," they are allowed a short buy since they didn't declare all-in and still have quarters on the table (???). If they declare all-in, they cannot short buy. As strange and confusing as this sounds, the locals have it down pat. They do it constantly.

But what happens when a tourist comes in and tries to short buy? Um, no, "we don't allow short buys here." I watched a tourist try to do a short buy using the exact same procedure as the locals. She had found out the unbelievably confusing rules, and followed them to the letter, only to be told she was not allowed a short buy.

Example two: In a NLHE tourney, a local throws out two black chips into the pot, indicating a $150 raise (to limp $50 was required). After announcing the raise, the local then proceeded to take back his $200 and tell the dealer and the table that he only didn't want to raise, he only wanted to limp in. He was allowed to remove the two blacks and substitute two greens. Whether this was an angle shoot or a simple mistake, I have no idea, but had a tourist tried this move, I guarantee his $200 would have stood as a raise (it was called a raise in every other situation I saw).

I have only played once at Sam's Town, and will not play there again.

As an aside, I was never the victim in any situation at Sam's Town. Usually angle shooters and people who short buy suck as poker players and actually add to my EV, not take away from it. My comments are purely coming from a spectator status.

offTopic
10-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Thanks!

That's unfortunate...maybe I'll have to add to my chip collection at a craps table. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayerA
10-16-2003, 12:58 PM
I was there earlier this year. I didn't play in any side games. I did play in a tournament there. From what I recall, it was super-tight and aggressive. Most hands didn't see the flop. It seems to be a locals room.

There was a table in the back with some people with huge stacks of yellow chips. Must have been a million dollars on the table.

Check out cheapovegas.com. They give some funny reviews of various poker rooms.

If you like VP, there is some full-pay dueces to be had there.