PDA

View Full Version : AA , 4-8 Questionable play.

Bandorn
10-05-2003, 03:34 PM
Game conditions great. 6 weak/typical players.
1 lucky anytwo cards calling station (LACCS). Who had been catching lots of 2 pairs that where under top card. He had been up about $300,now only $200. If he caught a pair on flop he stayed/called thru river. If checked to on river he bet 2 pair hands. Checked his 1 pair hands. Only raised preflop with big cards.

1 fair/maybe good player who had been losing all night. He was down about $120. He was showing down good cards when he played. Did not play much past flop. Mostly folded preflop. He was just getting beat. Classify him tight/passive maybe tight/typical.

Me. Im up $300 had been over $400. Ive been in cold spell for a hour. Mostly garbage cards that Im folding including blinds. Plus two bad beats on river. Ive dominated table earlier. Now Im mostly practicing card reading and looking for tells.

We are now playing 9 handed. Having busted out 5 other players. Im in seat 3# with AA on the button. Seat 4# empty. Seat 6# LACCS is BB. Seat 10# good losing player (GLP).

Preflop 2 callers to GLP who raises. Folded to me. I check planning to raise flop or turn if flop hits me. LACCS will defend his blind and callers will call with anything now that they are in hand. At this point there going to see the flop. SB folds. LACCS raises. 1 Fold. 1 call. GLP calls. I call. 4 to the flop with 13.5 sb.

Flop. Jh, Jc, 2d. LACCS checks. EP caller checks. GLP checks. I check. This flop threw me, Im sure somebodys sandbagging. Also the the 2 preflop raises are making me wonder if I have any outs.

Turn. 2h (Jh, Jc, 2d) Checked to GLP who bets. I raise. Folded to GLP who calls. UT-OH, I get a itch. If LGP checks river here. Im checking. I had some notion that GLP was making a play and that I could take down the pot here.

River. 5c (2h (Jh, Jc, 2d)) GLP bets. I call. He shows down Ad,Jd.

Coments, please. I think now, I should have Bet flop.
Also does anyone think I should have reraised GLP or capped betting Preflop?

Mike Gallo
10-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Coments, please. I think now, I should have Bet flop.

I think you made a mistake on every street, either that or I did not understand the action.

Preflop 2 callers to GLP who raises. Folded to me. I check planning to raise flop or turn if flop hits me . LACCS will defend his blind and callers will call with anything now that they are in hand. At this point their going to see the flop. SB folds. LACCS raises. 1 Fold. 1 call. GLP calls. I call. 4 to the flop with 13.5 sb.

This completely confused me. Please explain the preflop action again. How can someone raise and you check?

Judging from the rest of your post, you appeared to me more intent on telling members of the forum how you play when compared to your opponent. Judging from the way you plyed this hand, you might want to reconsider that notion.

ninja please
10-05-2003, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LACCS will defend his blind and callers will call with anything now that they are in hand. At this point there going to see the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i am reading this right, it seems to be the logic to re-raise, not to just smooth-call a raise.

[ QUOTE ]
this flop threw me, Im sure somebodys sandbagging. Also the the 2 preflop raises are making me wonder if I have any outs.

then

Checked to GLP who bets. I raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

your logic is completely wrong. this raise should have come on the flop. it would have let you get an idea if someone had a J or not. putting someone on the card that can beat you after a flop is checked around is not hand reading. and even if you had made that read as you said you did and you are sure your hand is beat, why do you then raise on the turn when you hadn't improved at all?

i think if you showed some strength pre-flop or post-flop, you'd have been able to play the hand with a little more certainty. you are lucky the player with AJ slowplayed his way out of several bets.

GuyOnTilt
10-05-2003, 07:26 PM
I don't like the way you played this hand at all.

Preflop: I don't understand how you can "check" from the button after a player raises...Anyway, you should be reraising here everytime. When there's a player in the hand that you specifically label as a "calling station" you should be raising and reraising since he's willing to pay the extra bets with trash cards. Since you didn't 3-bet, I see no reason why you shouldn't have capped preflop when it came back to you reraised.

Flop: You should have bet; no doubt about it. Since you say that you're into hand-reading, you should've realized this. You don't read hands by just guessing or going on gut instinct, you read hands by reading your opponents' actions and reactions. Bet and see what happens. After that, if your read is that you're behind, but you're willing to pay off anyways, then check-through on the turn and call the river bet. But for the love, bet the flop.

Turn: Okay, you said that you smelled a sandbag on the flop, and now that you're bet into, you raise??? I just don't understand what's going through your head here.

I think you played your hand very poorly. The so-called "good player" also played his hand horribly; you might want to reconsider how "good" this player really is.

Bandorn
10-06-2003, 10:18 PM
No, I screwed this up bad. I posted it to Get confirmation on where or on what I should have done. Capping the pot preflop was a Must. Betting the flop. Then folding to a raise,should have been the play. Or getting a free card on turn if somebody tried to C/L. I did not want to lay those big pair down and I did not want to believe I was beat. Looking back, I think I was on tilt. Id been winning big, But was giving those chips slowly back for a hour. I tried to get tricky. When it was not needed. A poker life lesson I intend to learn.

Thanks for the comments.

Mike Gallo
10-06-2003, 10:58 PM
At least you acknowledged you made some mistakes.

A journey starts with a single step, it appears you took your first step.

Now you just have to keep going.