PDA

View Full Version : Ethics of inducing tilt

MRBAA
10-05-2003, 09:03 AM
I've always enjoyed giving and receiving some good natured needling and banter while golfing, working, socializing. Same at the poker table. However I sometimes play with players who insult opponents, try to get information by coffeehousing whenever they are in a hand and so on. Often, I find these players are fairly easy to tilt by throwing in some well timed needling remarks. It feels like they "deserve" this "punishment" for their rudeness, and sometimes it may even give me a small playing advantage. But I would rather play at a friendly table. Is there a better way to get them to back off? And would you consider my behavior in deliberately throwing barbs to tilt someone to be unethical? Angleshooting? Or is someone who does lots of obnoxious talking fair game?

Al_Capone_Junior
10-05-2003, 11:51 AM
If someone is being a jerk, I feel no pity for them if they get a taste of their own medicine. It might even shut them up and make the table a generally happier place. Try waiting till they lose a big one, then suggest that "we need some preparation-H over here!"

al

Mike
10-05-2003, 12:11 PM
If possible I like to make it tough for them to play. Raise with hands you normally call with. Reraise with your better hands. It cuts off downstream calls and hence their action because most players think harder about calling when they think you might raise. If you don't get anywhere on the flop, you fold, and they get a tiny pot. Usually you end up surprising yourself, when you realize you now own the table, at least for a half hour or so. It's good for your game and bad for theirs.

An easier play is just do not give them any action. When they are in the hand, you become a rock. It's not as effective, but sometimes others at the table catch on and follow suit.

Wake up CALL
10-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Remember what your Momma told you: "Two wrongs don't make a right."