PDA

View Full Version : A10 in the SB and a MP raiser.....

Gomez22
10-04-2003, 11:51 PM
Empire 1/2 table, only been there about 15 minutes, so nothing of note.

Dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif in SB

Folded to MP who open raises, player to his immediate left calls, next 2 players fols, button calls. I folded this hand.

Winning hand? Aces and 3's with 9 kicker.... raiser had pocket kings. A 10 3 on the flop, turn was the other 3, river was an 8.

If I woulda (hindsight... I know) stayed I would won the hand, but I didn't feel comfortable calling a raise from MP for a couple of reasons:

1. Didn't know anything about the players. Turns out, both seem to be decent enough so far (still playing).
2. A10 just isn't that great of a hand.
3. Alot of post flop raising had been going on before this hand, and with a raiser out there, if I did flop a 10 or ace, or backdoor draws, figured I'd be paying heavily to continue.

My question is.... When should you call a PF raise with A10 (if ever) and what about A10s (If I woulda had A10s, I think I would have called the raise).

jasonHoldEm
10-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Don't be results oriented. I think you made a good fold. With two cold callers I think you have to be worried about your kicker.

If the open-raise came from the CO or the Button then I'd consider making a play if I knew enough about my opponent.

Peace,
jHE

Gomez22
10-05-2003, 12:10 AM
It's not so much the results, well... it kinda is, and I'll tell you why...

I was mulling this over hard..... You know that annoying little buzzer that goes off a Party and Empire? That damn little thing was making all kinds of noise and I finally hit the fold button with about 3 seconds left on my timer. After I saw the ending of the hand, I was disappointed, but figured I made the right call.

But like I said, when is (if ever?) a good time to call a PF raise with A10 or A10s? And from what position should you and the raiser be in? I would imagine you would want to be to the raiser's left, but from what starting positions? In the BB, I probably would have called to at least see the flop.

TazQ
10-05-2003, 12:23 AM
ATo is a pretty easy fold for me in just about any position vs a raise unless it looked like a steal. I can't really see where it'd ever be correct to call a raise with ATo, I'd love to hear other opinions though.

I'm only calling a raise with ATs if there have been 3-4+ callers after the raiser.

Brian
10-05-2003, 01:06 AM
ATo and AJo are both very easy folds for me when there is a raise. As another poster mentioned, their suited counterparts play equally poorly against a raise unless there are few other cold callers.

-Brian

lil'
10-05-2003, 01:22 AM
Good fold.

brian0729
10-05-2003, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is.... When should you call a PF raise with A10 (if ever) and what about A10s (If I woulda had A10s, I think I would have called the raise).

[/ QUOTE ]

You should only vary rarely being calling any PF raise. If you cant 3 bet it fold it.

Gomez22
10-05-2003, 01:31 AM
Thanks.. I was thinking about where to play/fold A10 & A10s.
If in LP, I could see calling a PF raise(with A10s) if enough were in to justify it with regards to the odds received, but with A10, I still can't find a solid place to play it. Is this a hand where you'd want a small number of players or a larger field? From the BB/SB with no PF raise, definately (duh...), but what about stealing blinds from the CO with it? LP with a MP limper? Makes a little sense to me..... I don't know... every time I get it, I cringe....

Gomez22
10-05-2003, 01:45 AM
The next orbit on the board, I'm in BB.... Guess what I get??????????

SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

LMAO!!!!!!!! I figure.. OK... it's suited this time.....

folds to MP who raises(that figures), CO+1 calls, CO calls, button calls ( hey.... maybe I CAN play this here... at least for the flop), SB folds, I call (get ready for this story....)

FLOP: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Middle pair top kicker, backdoor flush draw... not the worst, definately. I check, PF raiser bets, we all call...

TURN: 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Could it be???? Could it really be????

MP bets out again, CO+1 raises (your flush will lose to my flush, pal....), we all call(remember... no reraise from PF raiser).... I figure... I have a decent shot here: any ace, a ten, or a spade give me a pretty good hand.

RIVER: 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

My butt's tingling at this time.... I may have found a winner for A10... my search is over, thank you, God!!!!

I check (am I good, or what?), MP checks, CO+1 checks (NOOOOOOO!!!!!! At least bluff for me, here), CO bets ( oh, the tangled web this hand was), I raise.......................................

MP re-raises..... huh? wtf? why? where? no way.......

CO+1 folds, CO folds, I call..............

MP raiser had??????????????????????????????????????????
J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Rub me naked and call me Nancy *SIGH*

Ed Miller
10-05-2003, 08:16 PM
You should only vary rarely being calling any PF raise. If you cant 3 bet it fold it.

This advice is not correct from the blinds.

Having said that, ATo is a clear fold here.