PDA

View Full Version : Trot Nixon

The Camel
10-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Trot Nixon hit a game winning home run in their series against the A's to keep the Red Sox alive.

In an interview afterwards, he said something like..."It wasn't me swinging the bat it was the Lord Jesus Christ. He hit it"

Is Jesus a Red Sox fan then? Why would he choose for the Red Sox to win?

Or is this guy trivialising religion? As if God cares who wins a baseball game....

David Steele
10-04-2003, 11:31 PM
God would explain the plague that befouled the A's when they followed failing to touch the plate with what would have been the winning run, by having a second winning run stolen by the 6 umpires of the apocalypse.

The whole bay area seems to be on God's bad side today.
D.

Utah
10-04-2003, 11:32 PM
That home run rocked.

Maybe Jesus had money on the Socks?

It would be funny for a guy to blame a strikeout on Jesus.

andyfox
10-05-2003, 01:27 AM
The run wasn't stolen by the umpires, it was given away by Tejada who decided he would stop running. If memory serves, it was Tejada who was chastized by Jaosn Giambi for poor baserunning against the Yankees during a prior A's meltdown in 2001.

Why on earth would Tejada stop running?

lil'
10-05-2003, 01:31 AM
I've often thought athletes who credit their victories to Jesus display a very immature understanding of Christianity. I mean, just stop and think about what you are implying...

Trot had a great year, and I was thrilled with the home run!!!

David Steele
10-05-2003, 03:34 AM
By the time he got going again it was so hopeless that he must have briefly considered going back to third or something.

I am not a rules expert, but it seems pretty clear that if he was not interfered with at third, he would have likely scored and there is no way to know for sure.

If he has to slam into the the catcher with the ball so the umps can see that, then it is a crazy rule. I mean what if he had been unconsious after the interference could they just tag him out because he is not running home?

D.

Dynasty
10-05-2003, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or is this guy trivialising religion?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But, you seem to be mocking his beliefs.

Dynasty
10-05-2003, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The run wasn't stolen by the umpires, it was given away by Tejada who decided he would stop running.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Tejada was the villiage idiot on Saturday night. How hard is it to run?

The Red Sox were also screwing up on the basepaths. Both Garciaparra and Millar(?) should have been on second base after A's errors. Instead they both went less than full-speed to first base thinking they were going to make an out and couldn't take advantage of the A's errors.

HDPM
10-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Trot is trivializing religion and his beliefs are being mocked. Oh well.

I don't understand why pitchers dont put some balls in the ears of guys who say stuff like this. Well, at least in the ribs or high and tight. If I got warned by the ump for throwing at the idiot I would say warn Jesus not me. Jesus threw at him for being an idiot. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Clarkmeister
10-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Couldn't agree more. Watching the replay over and over its is obvious that if he keeps running, he scores easily. No one to blame but himself.

Wake up CALL
10-05-2003, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or is this guy trivialising religion?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But, you seem to be mocking his beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'Mon Dynasty! Do you think he really believes Jesus either swung the bat, helped him hit a home run or cared whether or not the Sox won the game? Give us a break and stick to poker and fantasy baseball stats.

Dynasty
10-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Lots of people give credit to God for their skills and accomplishments. It doesn't matter whether or not it is true. It is part of their faith and I see no reason to mock them for it.

The Camel
10-05-2003, 03:22 PM
I think he was making a mockery of his own religion to suggest Jesus was swinging his bat.

David Steele
10-05-2003, 06:01 PM
Under 7.06 (b) when the ball is not dead on obstruction and an obstructed runner advances beyond the base which, in the umpire's judgment, he would have been awarded because of being obstructed, he does so at his own peril and may be tagged out. This is a judgment call.

So they were going to award him 3rd? I thought hey would be awarding him home and he did not advance beyond home, whatever that means. Getting awarded 3rd is silly, he was never in jeapardy of missing 3rd. Getting awarded nothing is equally silly, he was going to make it home.
I don't think he advanced at his own peril, under the rules of english.

D.

daryn
10-05-2003, 06:37 PM
i don't think he meant this. i just think he thanked jesus christ in a general way, in other words, thank you jesus for giving me the opportunity to be a baseball player, and thus be in this situation. he didn't mean it like, "jesus hit that out.." i don't even believe he said that.

daryn
10-05-2003, 06:43 PM
any little leaguer knows to keep running in all circumstances. he looked like a 5 yr old kid when he stopped in the middle of the basepath and threw his hands in the air pointing wildly.

David Steele
10-05-2003, 07:39 PM
any little leaguer knows to keep running in all circumstances

He may have thought he was running into a brick wall at that point, and needed to consider going back to third.

I think what you are trying to communicate with your TV announcers tiresome qoute, is that one should continue with the play and find out about the ump call later. Of course you don't continue running in ALL circumstances. It may be that he did have a chance to still make home and would have been better off running, but I am not sure of that is true.

Why don't you reply to the 7.06b question above, it seems to be he should have been awarded home not third.

D.

daryn
10-06-2003, 09:46 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Under 7.06 (b) when the ball is not dead on obstruction and an obstructed runner advances beyond the base which, in the umpire's judgment, he would have been awarded because of being obstructed, he does so at his own peril and may be tagged out. This is a judgment call.

[/ QUOTE ]

the key here is, in the umpire's judgement, he was not to be awarded any base. therefore, the part about advancing at his own peril makes no senese in this situation.

was the runner obstructed? of course he was, if you take the literal meaning of the word, which everyone would do. so there is no argument there, but i think the argument was "the red sox player was putting himself in a position to make a possible play at 3rd base, and in doing so, unintentionally obstructed the base runner" .. if such a play was to be made at third , what do you think the red sox player should have done? try to go to the base and make the play? or say to himself, whoa.. there's a guy running by, let me get out of his way real quick, then i'll see if i have time to sneak in and make this play.

daryn
10-06-2003, 09:53 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
any little leaguer knows to keep running in all circumstances

[/ QUOTE ]

i just don't see how this is not true. it may be some announcer's cliche, but it doesn't change the fact that it is the best way to handle a situation.

it's like the guy in football who tries to pick up a loose ball and even after whistles are blown keeps running.. he can never really look that stupid. the worst thing that happens is it's blown dead, the best thing, somehow the play goes on and he scores. seems like an infinite odds situation to me.

andyfox
10-06-2003, 02:56 PM
The last time I saw something even remotely close to this was when Reggie Jackson let the ball hit him when he was forced out betweeen first and second in 1977 (1978?) against the Dodgers. Steve Garvey started pointing and arguing before he decided to run after the ball.

Play first, agrue later.

Uston
10-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Andy-I'm surprised you forgot Chuck Knoblauch in Game 2 of the ALCS against Cleveland.

Uston
10-06-2003, 03:08 PM
It's not that Jesus is a Red Sox fan. Jesus just hates Rich Harden. I'm not completely sure why that is, though.