PDA

View Full Version : Question for Mat re: responding to banned posters

tiltboy
10-04-2003, 11:17 PM
Mat,

Respectfully, how are we to know who is banned and who is not? How do I know who I can safely respond to without worrying that I will be banned also? Can you post a list of banned posters and their nicks somewhere?

I am entirely serious about this.

jek187
10-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Very good question TB.

Also Mat, in case you don't know, Cyndie is Mary from Poker Scene. She has also been banned. Does she count?

RiverMel
10-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Not only would we need a list of banned posters, but we would also need an entirely up-to-date listing of their "new" non-banned names. And if such a thing can be constructed, wouldn't it just make more sense to ban those known aliases? Seems to me like this just can't work.

Adde
10-04-2003, 11:36 PM
This issue would never have been raised by Mat if people had been smart enough to not respond to posts by "Pokeradvantage2", "Pokeradvantage.", "Pokeradvantage..", etc.

RiverMel
10-04-2003, 11:43 PM
Um. Great. That may be true, but it in no way means his proposed system is at all rational or workable.

jasonHoldEm
10-04-2003, 11:51 PM
I think mat is just tired of baby sitting this board, and quite frankly I can't blame him.

Use some common sense, don't start/respond to pointless flames, etc. I think if you "accidently" respond to one of the banned posters (on one of the few occasions they make a post about poker) he's not going to care...he just doesn't want the board in a constant state of flames he has to clean up.

jHE

Adde
10-05-2003, 12:00 AM
Um. Great. That may be true, but it in no way means his proposed system is at all rational or workable.

Great or not, but true. I don't think Mat even have to, or will, ban anyone for respoding to a previously banned member. I think the warning itself will stop people from responding to obvious reincarnations of banned members.

Mat Sklansky
10-05-2003, 01:03 AM
I wasn't clear enough before and i'll change it in the sticky post.

The policy starts now with the sole individual I've banned in some time who won't get the point: POKERADVANTAGE. Ihat's it. If Cyndie is Mary, I don't know or care and if pokeradvantage comes back as needleface or dog'sbreath and stops behaving like an idiot that will be ok too. At this point in time i can't prevent people from reregistering, but they do give up their rights to their previous identity.

As far as future garbage is concerned, forget it. If new names are added to the list of pariahs, i'll let everyone know.

Mat Sklansky
10-05-2003, 01:22 AM
There are far, far fewer banned posters than you might believe. Less than twenty in two years. Less than that if you include multiple aliases. So i believe that it is easier to ignore than ban. I'll delete inappropriate posts, obviously, but an ignored post gets the point across much better than one which ceases to exist. So all you people who apparently get so much out of these forums need to help me keep them constructive by doing NOTHING. And if you must do something, just click on the "notify moderator" icon found at the bottom of every post. In fact, I find that very helpful.

Thanks

XlgJoe
10-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Mat

Can't you contact the ISP of the offending people and have there internet privledges terminated.

When I was playing online races using Sierra software they had problems with some people who were using their forum. Sierra would ban them but they would always find a way back on. Finally they did something which involved contacting the ISP's of the problem people and shutting them down that way.

gonores
10-05-2003, 09:06 AM
You the man, Mat.

One suggestion. You may want to expand a bit on your sticky, as I doubt innocent posters who sign up in the will be able to understand the situation, and I am sure more than a thread or two will be generated asking about your policy.

You also might want to make it more professional if you are going leave it up there on a permanent basis.

Doug

Mat Sklansky
10-05-2003, 10:19 AM
I'll look into this.

Mike Haven
10-05-2003, 10:36 AM
to give you a physical break from having to pore over this board all the time and start learning how to play poker, mat, could you not give "deletion rights" to a responsible and trusted poster you know in real life?

he would be able to copy posts and delete them as he saw fit, and then send a copy to you - if you felt he had deleted a post unnecessarily, you could reinstate it, not that any post is a matter of life or death

if he ran amok you would terminate his deletion rights, if not castrate him next time you met him

just a simple, reasonable suggestion for you to mull over

GoBrowns
10-05-2003, 12:03 PM
I not only find this rule unworkable, but absolutely obnoxious. In fact, this is the single most idiotic measure I've ever heard taken by a moderator. Congratulations. I've seen 3 years olds handle adversity better.

joeypoker789
10-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Mat,
Ban away!!!!

It is your forum so don't take no chit from any of these spammers. 'ell you could ban a few more and it would be ok with me /images/graemlins/smile.gif