PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Tournament Software

04-03-2002, 04:42 PM
I have just received Wilson's Tournament Hold-Em 3.0 . I have been playing with the No-Limit tournaments and I have to say that I find it very poor and of little use. There are a lot of things wrong with it, and the frustrating part is that many of them would be so easy to fix.

Still, before I heap my scorn on it totally, what does anyone else think of the No-Limit tournaments offered with this software ?

Andy.

04-03-2002, 09:11 PM

04-04-2002, 04:03 AM
Well, there are a lot of niggly things wrong with it but the two show-stoppers are that the play is very poor and the pace of the tournaments is all wrong.

Regarding the play, computer opponents over-play AJ, KQ etc. pre-flop to the extent of calling reraises for their entire stack ; overbet the pot pre-flop far too much eg a first raise of 8000 all-in with blinds 50-100 ; play with easily observable patterns post flop, a small "big blind" size bet is invariably a bluff while checking twice means "take the pot" ; and many others. Here is the best (worst) example, in the final, 3 handed, blinds 75-150 (I know, see below), Computer player A 200K chips, CPB 100K chips, me 2K chips. A and B then push all-in pre-flop. A has A5s. B has T9. I mean this is just a waste of time, and yes this was at the "tough" level of play.

As for the pace, maybe it's better if you stick with the preset structures, but I was playing structure 7 (Texas Tears), 1000 chips to start, with the number of tables reduced to 12. The final table started in the 7th level, blinds 75-150. If you double up early on, and God knows that's easy enough to do, you can fold your way into the final. Players are eliminated far too quickly. In the final itself we were four-handed after ten hands, and then came the finish described above.

It's frustrating because these problems are not difficult to fix. Not at all. It just seems to me that the big-bet option has been "tacked on" without sufficient thought or effort, and it does not reflect well on Wilson Software at all.

I am going to get hold of the AceSpade program to do a full comparative review (for another website, but I will let you know the gist of it), hopefully it will be better.

Andy.

04-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Andy,

I completely agree on the NL tourneys. I am fairly new to it and almost always make the final table out of about 144 people i start it at. In real play I have never made it to the final table of a NL tourney nor come close (i think the software has actually hurt me some).

I have also seen some ridiculous calls like K5 all in when absolutely not even a maniac would do it.

It was good as a beginning program to help me. But I don't think it helps a good player much.

Just my opinion..still glad i bought it for when I was starting in Limit HE.

04-11-2002, 12:25 PM
Andy,

When you do that review, I'd love to see it. There's a review on RGP right now comparing the regular Hold'em games of the two companies. It'd be interesting to see if the same comparisons hold true for Tourney TTHE.

I've often wondered about the quality of play in the pot and no-limit games, though I haven't had the success that you have had playing it (I'm not a big-bet player, so it's not as if i have a good feel for how it should be played). I have wondered about the hyper-aggressiveness of the play, I thought it was a condition of the high limit tourneys.

Since you evidently have a lot of tourney experience, do you see the same problems in the low-limit or fixed-limit tourneys? That's mostly what I use.

What other website were you referring to? Send me an email if you want it kept private..

Thanks

Easy E

04-16-2002, 07:23 AM
E,

Sorry about the delay in responding it's difficult to keep track of all the forums !

When I post the review I will copy relevant bits to this forum. I have no problem letting you know what the website is but I do respect 2+2's stance on using these forums for free advertising.

Regarding the limit tournaments unfortunately I have (I was going to say minimal but actually) no experience of good standard limit hold-em tournaments so I can't comment on how realistic they are. Like you I would love to hear the opinions of those in a good position to give them.

Andy.

04-20-2002, 09:46 PM
Thanks Andy, I look forward to your review.

If you could email me the site, then we wouldn't violate the spamming law.

ezeriver@hotmail.com

If you'd prefer not to, I understand.

Easy E