PDA

View Full Version : Position Play

Sven
10-04-2003, 02:30 AM
Let me begin and say that I’m new to hold’em and have read a few books from Lou Krieger Hold’em Excellence from Beginner to Winner & Hold’em Excellence Hold’em Excellence a Winner for Life, Hold’em Poker by David Sklansky & Hold’em Poker for Advanced Players & the Theory of Poker also by David Sklansky.

David talks about starting cards for different positions in a 10 player game in his book Hold’em Poker For Advanced Players, how do I modify them for lets say a 6,7,8 player game? I’m also using a program called Stat King to keep records of all my games and am now using Poker Tracker. Thanks for your guys input! Also I think my game suffers when I have to play short-handed, I seem to do better when at a full table. Looking for some suggestions….

I have to log allot more hours for my STD deviation to be accurate and my win rate is coming down and I think is starting to level out some. My confidence is rising and my c.v. I think is too high.

Win Rate 275.24 $/hr
Confidence 4.13%
STD Deviation 629.55 $/hr
c.v . . . . 44

Keep in mind I’m just beginning and I don’t know squat!!!!!!! But I’m willing to do what is necessary to become a solid player!

crockpot
10-04-2003, 05:23 AM
i think you will not be too far off assuming that a 7-handed game is the same as a ten-handed game when the first three players have folded.

in other words, you should be looking more for high cards and less for suited cards, and playing more aggressively.

what the hell kind of games are you playing in where someone new to hold 'em can average $275/hour? i strongly suspect this figure is distorted by some good luck.

Sven
10-04-2003, 10:28 AM
I would be the first to say that I've been pretty lucky but at the same time I have been just playing really good solid hands and then I take advantage of them. Since I'm beginning and all I have been playing at Absolute Poker.Com and I have been playing on the 10/20 tables. They start you out with 2000 chips and I have gotten it to just under 14,000 chips. I play my hands as if it were real money. I've since then moved to the .25/.50 Real $$ Tables and started out with $5 and now have about $23 in my account. I know it's not alot of money and some people would laugh but you have to start somewhere Right?

I've also started playing at Poker Stars.com on there .01/.02 NL tables and after an hour and 45 mins I only lost .03 I was playing to conservative and right at the end I started to step up my play and I started doing better. So I know I have to be a little more aggressive for sure! I was just looking for some advice on how to play short handed as the books I've read really don't cover that. Thanks for your help Mike

Styles
10-04-2003, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play my hands as if it were real money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you do, but, do your opponents? No they don't.