PDA

View Full Version : Hand strength from betting

cbloom
10-04-2003, 02:18 AM
I'm trying to tabulate some simple rules for reading hand strength from betting. I don't really like any of the 2+2 material on reading hands, because it assumes that your opponents are reasonable players. Sklansky and Padmanabhan do this clever detective work, but that stuff does not fly in the typical low-limit game where your opponents don't know what they're doing. I'm looking for categories and probabilities that are less precise but more reliable.

The basic categories I'm looking at are -

A) no information about the hand, could be random
B) hand is at least good enough to call "pot chances", eg. bet amount/pot size ; this is usually something like a 10% chance of holding up at showdown
C) hand is strong enough to value bet, this means it has a chance of winning thats >= 1/N for N players
D) hand is probably a monster, very high chance of winning

Obviously this all depends on the texture of the table and flop and such, but I'm looking for some principles.

So, the basic things I've come up with are -

1. Just leading out with a bet doesn't show anything. The player may be trying to induce folds or disguise his hand. On the flop, usually it means a C, not a D.
(if he capped it on the previous hand and he's still leading out, that's another matter).

2. Check-raising generally means you're at least in category C, maybe D.

3. Calling 2 or 3 bets cold usually means you're in category C, but occasionally it means you have a very good draw in category C.

4. Just calling usually means you're in category B, but occasionally it's D and you're slow-playing or trying to keep people in.

5. Raising usually means your hand is usually >= C

6. Betting out and then re-raising means your hand is a very strong C or a D.

7. Checking and calling usually means your hand is a B

8. Betting the flop and checking the turn often means you were betting on a semi-bluff or a weak piece of the flop, or you're scared of the turn card, roughly category B.

9. Two people raising and reraising each other are usually a D.

10. Calling 2 or 3 bets cold and raising usually means category D if you're late in the round, but if you're early, it could just be category C and you're trying to reduce the field.

Louie Landale
10-06-2003, 11:47 AM
In Omaha split you have a rough low and two small pair heads up with a benign board, lets say KJ842 and you have J86A. The opponent bets and will only bet "the nuts" or close to it. You have a no brainer call since he needs a 4-card hand to beat you (such as AK32). The likelihood of you winning half is VERY high, EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHICH HALF YOU ARE GOING TO WIN. Hold that thought....

Reading hands of reasonable players is discussed because it CAN be done. As for reading hands of terrible players, consider the following...

The opponent never looks at his cards but always checks-and-calls. Hey! you cannot read this players hand. Your strategy heads-up would be to pick a minimum hand and bet it all the way. You don't know for sure WHICH show-downs you are going to win (just like the Omaha example above), but statistically you are going to win.

Its a general waste of time trying to put bad players on specific hands. You will generally adopt a philosophy of the above paragraph: be reasonable, bet a bunch, win more than your share of showdowns.

You have much better things to do, such as noticing them jumping out of their seats when the river comes.

- Louie

Having said that, there WILL be times you can put a terrible player on a specific hand, usually when he raises after having just called (the turn card helped). But don't bother if, for example, you raise and the opponent calls you 3 times. The loose players can STILL have a wide veriety of hands you can still beat, even if 2nd pair pairs and the 3-flush gets there.