PDA

View Full Version : Give it to me...

lil'
10-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Here's a sucky hand. I was really out to lunch here. I ended up quitting not too long after this. Making a lot of mistakes, especially when I jumped back and forth between my 2 tables.

I have A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the SB. 2 limpers, and the button raises. I just beat him good the hand before, and I suspect this may be a steam raise. I 3 bet. BB and the 2 limpers all call 2 cold. Button caps it. All call. 5 to the flop for 10 BB.

Flop - 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
All check to button, who bets. All call.

Turn - 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Same action.

River - 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Same action, except we lose a limper.

How's that for sucky? I stopped posting my thoughts because I stopped thinking.

gonores
10-04-2003, 01:15 AM
Well, call, call, call after the flop isn't pretty.

Pre-flop: If you truly got him steaming, I like the 3bet

Flop: If your 3bet accomplished anything, it got you information about the button's hand. At best you are drawing to 3 outs. I think you ought to release here.

Turn: You could be facing an expensive hand here. Anyone in the field is capable of a c/r with the flush (or straight), And your draw isn't all that sweet either. Once again, time to get out.

River: I'd guess basically every hand you beat here is going to check behind after your check. I think you ought to bet and hope for a desperation call or two. Given the size of the pot, you have to call a raise (but not two). With the action you took, calling was probably the best option, as you are avoiding a 3-bet from the button and you are encouraging the limpers to call in desperation.

I think you need to ask yourself why you would call with a draw that you can't bring yourself to bet, even if the pot is huge.

Doug

lil'
10-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm thinking I should have raised the flop if I thought he was full of it, or folded if I thought he was honestly playing aces or kings. I guess I wasn't convinced he had a hand yet, but I couldn't bring myself to raise to trust my read. So I called like a nerd.

I disagree that folding on the turn is a good idea. That would be a big mistake.

On the river I should have bet.

RockLobster
10-04-2003, 08:47 AM
Hey lil--

Preflop: seems reasonable, but I believe he has a hand once he caps.

Flop: This is a big pot, and I don't think you have any chance of taking it w/o a showdown, so raising is not good. Calling isn't very good either. I'd fold the vast majority of the time here, even with this size pot.

Turn: Hmmm. Drawing to the 3rd nut flush, with a higher-than-normal chance that someone has the Ah or Kh. OK, that sounds dumb... but I'm trying to say that the bettor could easily have AA or KK, and there's enough competiton that stuck around past the flop to have me worried. Since you're here and the pot is big, I don't think the call is terrible, but you're praying that no one raises behind you. If anyone did, I'd fold immediately (if not sooner).

River: I'd play it the same way.

I guess the biggest problem for me is the flop call, I feel that it set up you to stick around with very few clean outs.

lil'
10-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Yeah, the flop call was lame. I still think betting the river is good.

Anyway, The raiser had J-J, neither of which was a heart, so he ended up in fourth. The other 2 had lesser hearts, and my Q high flush took a nice pot.

So that dulled the pain of my poor call nicely.