PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll........maybe more theory than IG related

rusty JEDI
10-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Time and time again i see newbies come in and ask about bankroll and the old 300BB's gets thrown out. Or someone talks about losing and people throw out the 300BB number as the reason they lost.

I think before throwing this out we need to do a little more thinking. The way i feel about this is that when people throw out the 300BB number they are not giving a good enough explanation. Instead of explaining that this is the bankroll for a winning or break even player to handle the swings they are instead just throwing out the number.

For some reason i always get the feeling that many newbies when they hear of this magical 300BB number they start to think it is an unbustable amount of money for that limit that could be played on for eternity. They are not understanding the fact that if they are a losing player that 300BB's still wont get you anywhere, and that it will only tell you that you are in fact a losing player and that this was not just a statistically acceptable swing.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

Is my interpretation of the 300BB's correct?

Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif....The Granny Mae

Schadenfreude
10-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Your suspicions are correct. Although, I would not go into much more detail here as S+M readily disregard all opposition to the Big Bet Theory and bankroll considerations.

1) Losing is not earning money.
2) Money lost is gone forever.
3) 300BB is preposterous. This wholly varies on the population of players in the games you play, and your own skill level.

BruceZ
10-03-2003, 08:04 PM
I agree. The 300 bb rule does not apply if your win rate is low, or if your standard deviation is high as it is in shorthanded games, wild games, or very high limit games. In other case, it may be more than you need.

bankroll (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/favlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=1883&F_Board=genpok&Threa d=207100&partnumber=&postmarker=)

lorinda
10-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Hey Bruce, great to see you in here.

Bruce, meet The Zoo (Thomas, keep those animals quiet), Zoo, meet Bruce (This guy is gooooood)

Lori

Cyndie
10-03-2003, 11:55 PM
I agree, most new players do not realize that the mathematics of that number just tell you what the likelihood is that a break even player will not go broke with a bad run of cards, within a "reasonable" expectation.

A bad player can lose that every time he sits down.