PDA

View Full Version : S & M or M & S?

Al Mirpuri
10-03-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm a Beatles fan and many of you may well be as well. For the others, let me state that all dual compositions by Paul McCartney and John Lennon were listed as Lennon-McCartney. Basically, this means that all Beatles output - excluding that of George Harrison - was listed as Lennon-McCartney.

However, since Lennon's death McCartney has attempted to have this reversed he would like them to be listed as McCartney-Lennon. This is because he presumably thinks the current listing undervalues his input. Usually, English is constructed so that the important part of a noun phrase comes first. For example, the 'English King' tells us that the King is English and it is the Englishness that is being emphasised whereas the 'King of England' tells us that the King is the King of England and it is being King that is emphasised. Moreover, there are songs listed as Lennon-McCartney in which Lennon contributed nothing. (Though there is at least one Lennon-McCartney song in which McCartney contributed nothing: The Ballad Of John And Yoko.)

What does this have to do with S & M? Well, I was wondering just who contributed what for example to Hold'em For Advanced Players or even Seven Card Stud For Advanced Players? A bigger question would be which of them is the better theorist?

andyfox
10-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Nothing (or almost nothing) to do with what you're talking about, but I was recently in Paris and saw Yoko Ono shopping in the swankiest store on the swankiest street.

Not bad for someone whose sole claim to fame is that she broke up the biggest act in history.

Ray Zee
10-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Al, i am beginning to think you may have a little too much time on your hands and need to find a hobby. i suggest playing poker. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RiverMel
10-03-2003, 03:41 PM
You don't think it's a legitimate question? I myself am curious about the answer to this, too.

scalf
10-03-2003, 03:49 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gifwe usually say sadism and masochism...not m + s; and the 2 + 2 boys were quick to utilize this fact in a clever marketing ploy...

sklansky was playing real poker in las vegas in 70's and published in mid/late seventies gbc; mason was not playing pro yet...gl /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Al Mirpuri
10-04-2003, 01:51 PM

Al Mirpuri
10-04-2003, 01:57 PM
Fundamentally, the friendship at the heart of the Beatles, the one between John Lennon and Paul McCartney fell apart and everyone blamed Yoko for the split because they did not have the courage to put the blame where it lay. In the same way, Eve got blamed for Adam's shortcomings.

Mason Malmuth
10-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Hi Al:

Both David and Ray work for me. Does that help?

Best wishes,
Mason

Bill Murphy
10-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Ringo also sang lead on a half-dozen others; most notably "With A Little Help From My Friends".

Random Beatles ramblings:

Somewhere out there is a website listing every Beatles song, along with who was the primary composer & lead singer.

Lennon of course contributed nothing to "Let It Be" or "Yesterday"(which he loathed). Lennon's favorite Macca tune was supposedly "Here There & Everywhere".

Should be fascinating to hear the "naked" version of the Let It Be album, with all the Phil Spector stuff taken off. Spector was Lennon's idea, incidentally(Paul was violently opposed), which would surprise many who believe all the "John was the pure artist, Paul was the businessman" myths spawned by the Yoko crowd after John's death. Dying was a great career move for John's artistic reputation.

I read a fascinating article once that compared Paul & John's songwriting. Upshot was John was much more a verse-chorus-verse type, however brilliant, and not that there's anything wrong with that. Saw a poignant interview w/P where he talked about John's contribution to "Hey, Jude"="Leave 'movement you need is on your shoulder' in!"

George certainly nowhere near as prolific as J & P, but at his best he was their equal. Paul said the greatest regret of his life was never writing a song with George. Yoko's claim that "John always fought for George's songs to be included" is ludicrous. Just a slap at Paul, and like she'd fvcking know anyway. Slag.

Root of the L-M M-L dispute was that Paul wanted to just reverse "Let It Be" when Linda('nother piece o' work BTW) was terminally ill. Then he reversed some on his last live album, but I believe they were only one's that he primarily wrote. Guess he's backed off now.

Best Paul song=Mother Nature's Son
Best John song=Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me & My Monkey
Best George song=Long, Long, Long

S-M not M-S as DS more well known than M when they started.

Is Mason now more popular than the Beatles, or Jesus Christ, FTM?

budman
10-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Yoko cast some sort of spell over John. How could someone so gifted think that Yoko had any talent at all? That horrrible shrieking! I have taken more creative dumps.

And Eve didn't take the fall for Adam. She led Adam astray. If it wasn't true, how could they print it in the bible?

Ted Geisel
10-04-2003, 11:12 PM
Dude, .......... get a life in this century.

I really doubt any Beatle or spouse therof about whom you write these tomes, kind of obsessively in a Hinckley sort-of-way, ever heard of you.

crockpot
10-05-2003, 12:03 AM
no, i think he's just mad that the question wasn't about which of the six permutations of S&M&Z is correct for 7-stud.

Howard Burroughs
10-05-2003, 02:11 AM
There's a version of "She came in thru the bathroom window" from a bootleg that's pretty killer. At the point in the song where PM sings, "and so I quit the police department", Lennon yells into the mike, "Get a job cop!".

You listen to some of those bootlegs and it seems like they were still having a lot of fun playing music together. At one point in the sessions, George is telling the other Beatles some cool B.B. and Albert King stories. There'e also a cool version of "Get Back" with Lennon singing lead (and at a rather brisk tempo).

Think I might skip poker tonight and break out the bootlegs!

Best of Luck

H.B.

George Rice
10-05-2003, 07:21 PM
But if they used M$S then they might have been mistaken for Marys and Sissies. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

S$M is more masculine sounding.