PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Question

03-27-2002, 12:52 AM
I have virtually no experience whatsoever when it comes to poker strategy, but I really enjoy playing hold 'em in home games..

I know all of the poker 'lingo' and what-not, and I could tell you the difference between some different types of strategies, but I have zero idea how to employ any of them..

So, can anybody recommend the best one or two books for someone in my situation who is interested in getting involved in some lower limit type games??

Categories that I am interested in, and think would be important, are:

Strategy

Etiquette

Tournament vs. Home games

Bank Rolls

This is just a short list of stuff that I really know almost nothing about and am very interested in learning about, but am I missing anything?..

As for myself, I am a younger guy who has a four year BMATH degree.. Would this have any effect on the type of books I should be reading??..

Thanks for any replies...

03-27-2002, 12:59 AM
I reccomend reading these two books first:

Hold'em Poker by David Sklansky

This book provides an excellent approach to beating Hold'em.

Theory of Poker by David Sklansky

This book doesn't deal specifically with Hold'em or any other one game. It will provide you with an overall understanding of poker.

After reading those two books, come back and ask for more reccomendations.

03-27-2002, 09:45 AM
Dynasty's recommendations are good. Theory of Poker is the foundation book. The material in there applies to all games and helps you understand things in other books you will read. But I think you would also be interested in Mason's Gambling Theory book. This book will not help you immediately on holdem strategy, but will give you a lot to think about as you learn. It has the best stuff written on bankroll requirements which you say you are curious about. With your math background I think you will like the book. There are also a lot of book reviews in this book which will help you down the line. If I had a math background, I would also try to tackle a book I've seen mentioned - I think it is Epstein's Theory of Gambling and Statistical Logic. Mason recommended it but indicates the math is for someone who knows what they're doing. You do, so you might want to read it someday, but I doubt as a first thing to read. Read the Sklansky books first (you will keep referring to them) and then pick up some other books. You will get a lot of books if you get interested in poker.

03-28-2002, 03:20 PM
I agree with that the above suggestions are good, and I would also start with Lee Jones's Winning Low Limit Holdem.

D.