PDA

View Full Version : Party Misery

scrub
10-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Hey there all. I just read the post about playing AK on party, and it resonated deeply with me. I play a lot of big bet on UB, and recently moved some cash over to Party to take advantage of its fabled loose games. To my dismay when I got there, the games had a bizzare blind structure, and players who played more illogically than I even thought possible...

The level of play I have observed is so low that I have no doubt many of you make significant amounts of money in these games. I have had extremely uneven results so far. The slower speed of the games, coupled with my unfamilairity with playing out of such a short stack has given me a lot of trouble.

Does anyone have suggestions for adopting to play in the Party blind structure? I'm sure that faster play is required, but I haven't found an implementation I'm happy with yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

scrub

crockpot
10-03-2003, 05:04 AM
i think you can afford to scale down your requirements for all-ins a little, because you can expect worse hands to call you or push in themselves. don't get carried away, however.

that said, i very rarely play NLHE on party, because i find the PLO and PLO8 games much more profitable. if you think party players are clueless at the no-limit games, learn how to play big-bet omaha correctly and sit down at the tables for a good time.

Guy McSucker
10-03-2003, 05:05 AM
The simplest and most important adjustments I have made for the Party games are:

- never bluff

- don't build drawing hands.

For the first point, I don't quite mean never, but very seldom, and pick your targets extremely carefully. Many players don't know what the fold button does.

For the second point, I mean don't play so many suited aces or suited connectors. With small stacks, try to build top pair with AK, AQ and the like, and go for sets with pocket pairs when it is cheap to do so.

I prefer playing for a set with a pair than a nice draw with suited connectors because with small stacks, you want to make your hand as early as possible.

When you hit a hand, bet it.

It's boring and you will run into many an outdraw, but as we all know the secret to the game is repeatedly getting your money in as a favourite, and this is the way to do it.

Guy.