PDA

View Full Version : how hard can i play two pair?

ninja please
10-02-2003, 06:42 PM
party 2/4.

this is the start of my second orbit. no real reads.

i'm dealt Kh5h in the BB
4 limpers and the SB completes. i check.

flop: Kc Jc 5d
SB checks, i bet, 3 call to LP (last to act) who raises. SB folds. i 3-bet. 1 limper calls, one folds. LP just calls.

turn: 8d
i bet, MP calls, and LP raises again. can i 3-bet here? i try to think what the likelihood of him raising a 3-better here with just AK or worse, and i don't think it's very high, so i just call. MP calls as well.

river: 2h.

i bet, MP folds, and LP raises again. the flush draw didn't come in, so i feel like i have to assume this raise means something more than a flush draw. once again i just call.

LP shows 5c8c for the flopped flush draw and a smaller two pair than mine. so i missed bets here, but should i be playing 2 pair harder in this type of situation?

crockpot
10-02-2003, 06:47 PM
i might have reraised the turn, but only because the third player is likely on a draw and i want to charge him as much as possible for it. in a heads up pot i would probably play it the same way you do.

GuyOnTilt
10-02-2003, 06:49 PM
I hate your flop bet. Check and either fold or check-raise depending on the action. After you 3-bet the flop and are raised on the turn, you should be mucking your cards faster than you can say, "New set up please!!!" The river bet is equally bad. You risk getting raised, which I'm getting you would've called.

IMO, this hand was misplayed on every street. Oh, except preflop. That was good.

Bob S.
10-02-2003, 06:49 PM
I actually think you overplayed this hand a little but your opponent overplayed it even more obviously. I like your lead on the turn after the draws miss, but when your opponent raises you again I think this is the point where you should usually slow down in the hand. I think a lot of times in this sequence you will be showed at least KJ or a set. Don't get down on yourself for missing a reraise on the river, you made out pretty well in my opinion.

Bob S.

chenyi
10-03-2003, 01:03 PM
I like your post. /images/graemlins/cool.gif
I would check/call the river if my opponent is a decent player, but you never know in low limit games. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Robk
10-03-2003, 01:21 PM
You see that he has two pair, right?

ElSapo
10-03-2003, 01:28 PM
Two pair is a good hand man.

Robk
10-03-2003, 01:36 PM
I would make it 3 bets against an unknown party 2-4 opponent becaue:

1. If you can rule out KK, JJ, AK since he didn't raise preflop, his range of hands is like

KQ/KT (16 combos), KJ(6 combos), 55 (1 combo), big draw (~5 combos).

So even discounting top pair and the draw because he might not raise twice with those you are still in decent shape against a reasonable range of hands. (Not to mention that since this is party 2-4 there is a good chance his range of hands is far from reasonable.)

2. The third player is putting in bets that are very likely to have a small amount of equity.

pudley4
10-03-2003, 02:47 PM
Preflop: good
Flop: good (very good 3-bet)
Turn: good. There are several hands he could have here. Some of them you are ahead of (like K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif with another /images/graemlins/diamond.gif where he turned a flush draw; or 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif where he picked up an open-ended straight draw). Some you are behind (K8 is likely; KJ is a possibility; 88 is a possibility). I would have also just called the raise.

River: I would check-call. None of the draws made it, so if you bet, he'll fold his missed draws. If you check, he might bluff with his missed draw. He's also shown a lot of strength, so if you bet he could easily raise (which he did) and most of the time you'll be paying off a better hand.

ninja please
10-03-2003, 04:38 PM
GoT, you really check-fold two pair on this flop? if you read the hand as top pair, bad kicker, ok, but if you are really saying that's how you'd play it with 2 pair, i need some more reasoning, because that seems ulta-ultra-weak.

Rube
10-03-2003, 04:58 PM
I think you played the flop and turn fine, although I would have check-called the river after being raised on the turn after 3-betting the flop.

I don't really understand the bet on the river. If you put them on draws and thought you had the best hand, you should have reraised the turn when they'll pay off that bet since they aren't going to pay you off on the river if they had draws. And you'll have to pay off a river raise by trips or higher two pair.

ninja please
10-03-2003, 05:04 PM
thanks for the many good replies. i agree with the folks who say that check-calling the river is definitely the better play than betting out. oh well, i'll get it right next time (i hope). thanks again to all who gave input.

GuyOnTilt
10-03-2003, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You see that he has two pair, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha! Nope! I didn't! I saw top pair-weak kicker. My bad.

I love hangovers.